• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat DC Freezes (Not Responding)

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat DC.  What Adobe claims is the latest version.

Windows 7 on Acer laptop.

I tried this, and these other "fixes".

Reloaded Acrobat 4 times

Menu item help->repair

Turned off Edit->Security(special)->Load in Protected Mode

Norton Power Eraser

Still locks up.

If I reboot, for 10 minutes, I can use Acrobat DC, then, I get (Not Responding) and have to kill it using Task Manager.  Sometimes get a message "Failed to connect to a DDE Server."

Is Acrobat "free", now "crippleware", to encourage users to buy the commercial version?  Are you ending Acrobat "free"?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a reply from another user on this forum, in a different area.  It seems to work for me.  My compatibility option was XP.  I selected that, and things seem to be working OK.  Time will tell.  If it goes bad, again, I'll be back. 

Adobe REALLY should fix this!

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2262182

robertr9216516  Jan 12, 2017 4:16 PM  (in response to rickl22918655) 

I am not a techie, however after experiencing the same problem when my windows 10 computer updated last night, I just tried this and it worked.  I went to my windows Adobe reader icon and right clicked on it and selected "open file location." Once there, I right clicked on the file itself and selected "properties." I then went to "compatibility" and unchecked the compatibility mode (which displayed - run compatibility for windows 7.  When I checked the other compatibility mode options, I did not see windows 10 (there were others), I made a guess to uncheck this box.  I can now open all pdf files w/out issue - and they open quicker than before. 

Let me know if this helped anyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, we got halfway there and choked.

I can read PDF that I had saved to my hard drive, but cannot open PDF I get from an email or a website.  The PDF loads about halfway, then stops cold.  In the initial grey window with the blue progress bar, it appears to come all the way in, but, when it changes from that grey window to the document, at the bottom, it shows loading from 1/3 to anywhere around a half, then stops cold.  It will accept no control input.

The second scenario, it loads all the way, and the little menu bar with the Adobe logo on the side appears at the bottom.  It changes when you put the mouse on it, but will not accept a click.

When you load from a hard drive, the file comes in quickly, all controls work, you can cruise around endlessly, with no problems.

And for you techies out there, again, Windows 7, what Adobe assures me is the latest version of Acrobat Reader DC, 15.23.20056.16516.

From the thread, you've seen what I and others have tried.  Acrobat has become like driving an old Rambler.  Stop every few miles and break out the tools.  Don't EVER count on being on time.

Some are talking alternative readers.  I'm leery of freeware downloads, as so many are thinly disguised virus bombs, but I'm getting tired of tinkering with something even the experts can't seem to fix.

Are you guys listening, or am I standing at the edge of a savannah, yelling into the wind?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did some exploring. Google Chrome is supposed to have its own PDF rendering software as part of Chrome.

The solution I chose was the Foxit free reader. It installs quickly. Upside, the rendering is crisper.
Downside, there is a large menu across the top that robs from viewing space. What the heck? It's free, and it works.

I wanted simple that installing would mess the least with my computer.

Bye-bye Adobe!

Back to reading old manuals, spec sheets, and plan drawings!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An interesting  side effect of deleting Acrobat and loading Foxit.  (Should uninstall Acrobat BEFORE installing Foxit.)

Internet Explorer would hang periodically, with only some websites.  It no longer hangs on those websites.  Internet Explorer now loads web pages faster.

Should have done this long ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe locking up when opening a PDF on my Windows 7 Pro PC. To open a PDF I have to open with Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm running Windows 7 and when it hangs I notice in Windows Task Manager that the lsass.exe process is using 100% of one processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines