• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat DC shortcut keeps reappearing on desktop.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an option to turn off this GRUESOMELY ANNOYING reappearing of this shortcut?
It does this at home and at work every so many weeks. At home I can just delete it, but at work I need to ask IT department every time to do this....

Is this just commercial branding?
What is the point of having this shortcut anyway?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

I can verify that the Adobe Acrobat Reader updater no longer creates an Adobe Acrobat.lnk shortcut on the Desktop. I am glad, that they finally implemented this. I was tired of deleting it with a Scheduled Task:

AdobeAcrobatLnkDeleter.vbs

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Dim path
path = "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Adobe Acrobat.lnk"

if fso.FileExists(path) then
    fso.DeleteFile path
end if

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 136 Replies 136
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish they would also stop doing this.

In my 25 years of working in IT I have never once opened Reader/Acrobat/DC using its shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too.

All my favourite software are in the Control bar/Dock.

Capture_2210141429.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hehe, I've got like 4 icons in my bar, and 5 on my desktop!

The Adobe icons reappearing is ruining my minimalist theme 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated my Creative Cloud software yesterday: I don't want the Lightroom shortcut on my desktop too!

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME!! Everytime. every time. lightroom and reader shortcuts are just chilling up there all by themselves.

Seriously, get this fixed guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @eric27632777efr2 

We are sorry to hear that. Would you help us with the fresh Adobe CC logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html  and Procmon logs (Win Only) https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html  and share them via document cloud or any other cloud storage. Just upload the logs their and create the link and share that link with us for further investigation.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another user here annoyed with this issue.  It just happened again today.  I wish Adobe would hurry up and fix this "bug" as they've identified it as.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting those shortcuts regularly from my desktop. Very annoying. I already have two shortcuts on my laptop! And that after only a few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Cruzmeister @ceriel26069959g8ml simon@idea @Namenamenamename1 @JR Boulay,

Sorry for all trouble. 

Our team has released a new patch with a fix for the issue. Please check for any updates within the application and let us know if it helps.

If you are unable to get any updates from within the application, you may refer to the link here: 22.003.20263 Optional update, Oct 22, 2022 (Windows Only)

Hope this helps.

-Souvik.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Souvik,

I see my current version is now 22.003.20263, without a new shortcut on the desktop. Does that mean it is solved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Namenamenamename1,

Yes. The patch you installed had a fix for the issue you were experiencing.

-Souvik.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since that update, the shortcut has not returned. So it seems resolved. Thank you Adobe. I can continue with my urge for less is more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2022 Nov 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My current version is 22.003.20282 which was last updated on 19th of November 2022 and the icon again reappeared. I am going with the solution of uninstalling adobe acrobat, but am here to say that it is not resolved as of the version I have

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today (October 31), I installed the latest update from October 22 (using the link you provided just above my reply)  which allegedly fixes the annoying shortcut issue. I have the 64 bit reader.  I watched while it updated and saw the shortcut magically appear on my desktop. I did it twice and watched the icon show up twice.  NEVER in my deades of computer use do I remember clicking on the icon.  I always click on the PDF and then it comes up using the Reader.

As someone who wants only three icons on my desktop (all shortcuts go in one folder), I find this very annoying and invasive. Who controls my desktop? You or me? Right now it is you unless I find a different reader. However, I really like Acrobat Reader so that will be a last resort.

It happens on both of my computers.

So, if you think you have solved the problem for me, then think again. If I am doing something wrong, then feel free to instruct me. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Souvik,

You keep coming back, saying the same thing but there's no change. The icon still reappears after an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting for the "new patch" with the unicorn "fix". I'm not holding my breath as this clearly isn't a high priority. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Adobe just updated to version 2022.003.20282 (64-bit) and shortcut appeared once again.

I have tried installing update from post above but it did nothing - even after using this update shortcut appeard on my desktop.

What is funny I don't recall any of my friends having the same issue. On my other PC there is also no problem.

Resinstalling Adobe Reader does not fix the issue of course...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logged into my account just to reply to this and say: This convinced me to finally rip out the last tendril Adobe had lodged in my computer. I do keep icons on my desktop, but very few, and this was driving me insane. I rarely need to edit PDFs, just view them. So if I ever need to edit, I'll find an open source solution. Bye forever, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat just updated to 2022.003.20282 64-bit on my computer and the desktop shortcut was automatically created. This has been happening for a long time... is it really a bug or intended behavior? I don't want a desktop shortcut created when the app updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on the lack of positive change and the lack of a real response, I believe it is an intended behavior. For some reason, the people at Adobe think this will get them more paid subscribers or purchasers of their program.

Unless there is someone at Adobe who enjoys irritating people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @brian-j

We are sorry to hear that, would you help us with the fresh Adobe CC logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html  and Procmon logs https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html and share them via document cloud as described here https://helpx.adobe.com/document-cloud/help/sharing-pdfs.html for further investigation.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. My initial comment from mid-October seems to have been removed. Maybe it was a little bit rude for Adobe.

Considering the responses made since then and other issues with Adobe not associated with this thread, plus Adobe's apparent ignorance of this 'bug' reported by their employee Suvak mid-October ("Sorry for the trouble. We have identified the issue and a bug is logged. We understand how frustrating this might be and our team is working to get it fixed at the earliest possible."), it's clear that the bug wasn't logged and Adobe doesn't give a s**t. The updates still place the icon on the desktop, having used the software since it first appeared I've never opened it with anything other than the document that I wish to view. Some muppet at Adobe clearly behaves otherwise.
I'm happily using Foxit now, which is more capable than Acrobat in so many ways and particularly when viewing engineering drawings. Adobe can poke Acrobat where the sun doesn't shine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

You may want to try this if the icon is annoying to you. This works for windows 10 maybe windows 7. Delete the icon now if you want then in the search bar type "Task Scheduler". Select run as administrator. When it loads, look for "Adobe Acrobat Update Task". Right click and hit disable.  This would stop adobe from automatically running updates behind the scenes. If you need to update, you can always run updates on your own but remember the icon will come back. Let me know if it works for you.

Armen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So a fix that's not a fix, just a workaround to avoid updates.
Adobe allegedly had this logged as a bug way back, all they needed to do was offer the installer the option to not have a desktop shortcut. Instead, they continue to roll-out updates which do the same thing, over and over. 

I used to subscribe to some Acrobat related plug-ins, despite my frustration to the now commonplace move to subscriptions instead of a single purchase for a single plug-in. You can understand the business logic in a world where profit is king - 'Why sell someone a project for £20 which they'll use for a decade when you can charge then £10/year forever?' We're all being exploited and nobody seems to object any more. 
In this case, however, I've found Foxit. The functionality I require is present in the free version and apart from a small, annoying animation in the top right corner Foxit is now my recommended product for pdf work. Adobe has lost me and other users forever, and over something so simple as an inability to permit users to keep a tidy desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jan 12, 2023 - still this BS shortcut no one use keep re-appearing, looks like is time to give Foxit a try! brain dead marketing decision

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines