• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Acrobat DC shortcut keeps reappearing on desktop.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2022 Sep 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an option to turn off this GRUESOMELY ANNOYING reappearing of this shortcut?
It does this at home and at work every so many weeks. At home I can just delete it, but at work I need to ask IT department every time to do this....

Is this just commercial branding?
What is the point of having this shortcut anyway?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 29, 2023 Nov 29, 2023

I can verify that the Adobe Acrobat Reader updater no longer creates an Adobe Acrobat.lnk shortcut on the Desktop. I am glad, that they finally implemented this. I was tired of deleting it with a Scheduled Task:

AdobeAcrobatLnkDeleter.vbs

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Dim path
path = "C:\Users\Public\Desktop\Adobe Acrobat.lnk"

if fso.FileExists(path) then
    fso.DeleteFile path
end if

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 136 Replies 136
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.01.2023 and this bullcrap happened again.

I have been reinstalling the program couple of times with no effect and today around 10 AM I got this useless icon again on my desktop.

I guess Adobe Support doesn't give a crap about this bug since it's not been patched for around 4 months now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4 months? People have been reporting this issue for years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry for the trouble. Please try to remove the application using the Acrobat cleaner tool https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html , reboot the computer once and then reinstall the application using the customization wizard and try turning off the shortcut option from the customization wizard window as described here https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Wizard/basics.html.

Let us know if you experience any trouble and need more help.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please. This is MOST DEFINITELY a planned action. Do these dipwads REALLY believe we're that stupid???  This is the same company that has incessantly tried to cram the worthless piece of junk McAfee crapware down our throats for decades.  Just uninstall the garbage and tell Adobe where to stick it. Most disgusting software company around with ZERO scruples or integrity. Just lowlife bottom feeders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now doing my pds stuff with firefox. This is enough for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

crap! I doesn't work. Stupid and annoying marketing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a ridiculously complex process for an end user to do. A simple checkbox in preferences should be the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

January 2023 and this is still an issue. Best solution I made is to remove Adobe and use Foxit. Adobe obviously want to invade your computer to market their brand, it's got nothing to do with helping you out as a user. It's an easy fix to move on from Adobe and stop thinking they are the best or only solution for PDFs. It's an outdated company trying to stay relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2023 Jan 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm out - This should not be an issue. I deleted the shortcut so many times and just wasted 20min scouring the advanced options to come here and find to no avail. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

We are sorry to hear that, would you help us with the fresh Adobe CC logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html  and Procmon logs (Win Only) https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html  and share them via any cloud stotage, just upload the log files to the cloud, generate the link and share that link with us so that we can isolate this issue for the fix.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Amal. 
Adpobe still playing stupid? 
Like after years you still need logs from users?
Like you dont ever have a shortcut on your desktop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amal, please check with the appriopriate people and confirm that this is actually a bug and not a deliberate effort by some internal team to maintain mindspace on our desktops. It's easy to suggest steps like uninstalling and reinstalling for thousands of people to waste a lots of their time, but you should put in the time first to make sure your recommendation is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this? I have the same issue with the latest version, that I just uninstalled due to this SUPER ANNOYING CRAP.

Anyway to get a signal when it's fixed so I can install the product again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In what world would Adobe commit resources to this.

There is absolutely no profit in it for them. 

If this annoys you then stop using Acrobat reader. It annoys me intensly, however we have some form creators that require Acrobat reader to fill in their forms so can not uninstall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The profit is in preventing loss of customers, as many above have implicitly or explicitly stated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that this a free app

1) you can barely call the posters here customers

2) adobe does not care if 30 or so people stop using an app that costs them money to produce and has no return

Remember the outcry when they went to the subscription model, people threatened to stop using adobe products, in the end no one did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lighthouse and media encoder  aren't  free, and their icons were popping up on the desktop after updates. There were a few others I've complained about and they are no longer showing up on my desktop after updates. So, someone is listening. I say keep it up. Devs and marketers need to know what their customers think about their products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes but acrobat reader is and adobe do not care. This has been proven time and time again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, it's an icon for Adobe Acrobat Pro, so I am very much paying for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm paying for it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.) Paying private customer here, also part of a very large corporate account.

2.) Thirty people speaking up. As anyone who has dealt with feedback systems should know, you have to extrapolate the number who speak up as a very small fraction of those who feel the same, but do not speak up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

We are sorry for the trouble. This issue was addressed with the Oct 22 optional release (Win Only) version 22.3.20263. However, as you are still experiencing this issue we need some more information so that we can reach out to the development team for isolating the issue for the fix.

1. What is the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? Go to Help > About Acrobat

2. What is the version of the computer OS you are using?

3. Also, we need the fresh Adobe CC logs https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html  and Procmon logs (Win Only) https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/acromonitor.html   just upload the log files to any cloud storage, generate the link and share that link with us.

Waiting for the required information

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a developer who has configured multiple installation packages for desktop applications, I can tell you that it is not difficult to control this action. You don't need to bother your customers to gather additional logs. I realize that Adobe probably has it's own, custom Windows installer, but that's all the more reason that your developers should easily be able to control this aspect of the experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! PLEASE STOP this annoying practice placing your icon on the deskop every update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Foxit at work for years. Today, I came home to what would be my final reappearing desktop shortcut icon and replaced Acrobat with Foxit here, as well. As Empowered5EE9 pointed out, Adobe do not need to care about appeasing a handful of users (like me) who dislike the spammy desktop icon that comes with their free PDF reader. You have two options: complete the agonizing task of deleting a shortcut from your desktop every once in a while, or uninstall Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines