Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe PDF Converter driver version

Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2021 Aug 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Adobe PDF printers use the Adobe PDF Converter drivers. I am using 3 different machines to print PDFs and all of them have different versions of the driver which causes the pdf printing times to be very different although i am using the same job options profile.  

1. How can i check which version of the driver does my printer have? The only place i found any info on a version is from Printer Hardware properties > Details > Driver version/date but i am not sure if this is the correct location. On 2 of the machines there is also a version marked in the name of the Adobe pdf converter driver when installing a new printer. Also  there is no way to see which driver i have installed currently( or i just can't find it?)

2. Is it possible to install the same Adobe PDF converter drivers on all 3 machines? I have tried reinstalling acrobat but it still installs different versions for each pc. I have not found a way transfer the drivers from one pc to another. 

TOPICS
Create PDFs , General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe PDF driver is a PostScript driver with a custom output port. The PostScript driver itself is not made or installed by Adobe, it is a standard part of Windows. 

The conversion to PDF is later done using Acrobat Distiller, installed as a part of Acrobat. Different job options can affect performance. Distiller itself has changed little in 20 years. 

NB Acrobat (and hence Distiller and hence the Adobe PDF printer) is only licensed for personal use, is is not for server use, and is only expected to be used in an interactive session. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If i understand correctly, the driver in the picture attached is provided by windows? Is there a way to find this driver via windows then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still facing this issue. 2 PC-s with different Adobe PDF converter drivers print PDFs with marginal time difference. I have not found a way to get the same windows drivers on both PCs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The actual printer driver is supplied by Microsoft. You can check versions of the (many) DLLs and driver modules by printing a test page.  I don't know why you care about the version, but it is absolutely wrong to try copying Windows driver files between systems; Windows is designed to prevent this sort of thing, and to silently undo any changes forced through somehow.

Adobe provides the modules which implement the Adobe PDF port.

You seem to be making a huge leap: you have a problem; you find a difference; you are convinced the difference is to blame for the problem. Well, you're stuck with the versions, I suggest you look deeper into the issue you are actually trying to solve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked every PDF printer setting, every Illustrator setting. The PDF printer's profiles. Everything is exactly the same on both machines. If i rule out the windows drivers, there is nothing that is different on the 2 machines. Is there maybe another programm that makes it slower. Should i start looking from somewhere else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're making a PDF from an Illustrator file? Exactly how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I am using File > Print > My custom print preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With Illustrator Adobe recommend using Save as PDF, and would certainly not test the PDF printer from Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines