Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Attaching .ics to PDF document

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am looking for a solution for the following problem:
I have a .ics file (Outlook meeting) that I want to embed into a PDF file. I want to send out the PDF to several recipients and if they are interested in participating they should click on an image/link/... so that the .ics file opens and they can add the meeting to their own Outlook calendar.

I have not found a solution for that. I can create a link and add the command to "open file" and then select the .ics file and this works perfectly on my computer. But as soon as I am sending the PDF to a recipient they can not open the file as it is linking to my local harddrive. 

Is there a solution for that - it would really make my week!

Thanks

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs , How to , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am having the exact same problem! Also I know that it works somehow, because I have received a pdf with that feature. Plase help!!!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can attach a file to a PDF using either the Attach File commenting tool, or by dragging and dropping it into the Attachments panel on the left. Both have an icon of a paper-clip. The latter is only possible in Acrobat, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the good info above, you can set the PDF initial view default to show the attachments panel, or add a button to open the attachment panel (when the PDF is opened in Acrobat or Reader). Alternatively, you can upload the .ics file to Dropbox, or some other server and include an address link in your PDF.

Attachments.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! I would prefer an option, where the file gets downloaded instead of just showing an attached file. It's easy to miss that...

I already tried the Dropbox Link, but I was always prompted to sign in to Dropbox and I would prefer to make the download as easy as possible. Also when I put the file on my webserver, the user would need to type in user name and password to download the file. 

What bugs me the most is, that I have a pdf where it works exactly as I want it. You click and the ics file gets automatically downloaded, no user data, no dropbox pop-up. Just a simple download. But on this pdf I cannot see how they did it. I cannot see what link is behind the button. It's so annoying...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the file with us? We might be able to help you figure it out...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.dropbox.com/s/btdfc96vslovr52/Einladung%20DFP-Webinar%20-%20Patientenmanagement%20in%20Z...

I hope that works! The link is behind the red button on the right where it says "Termin in Kalender eintragen".

Thanks for your help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All it does is open a weblink that points to a page that redirects to the ics file... The file itself is not in the PDF file at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! So I just need to figure out how to do the same thing. I put the file on my server, but when I link to it via ftp-protocol it asks for user data (which I dont want) and when I link to it via http, I get a 404 page not found...

Maybe I should really go with attaching the file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox is working for me, no sign-in needed. After uploading your file, click Share, then at the bottom of the window click Copy Link, this puts the address into your clipboard, use this address in your hyperlink. Clicking the link opens the PDF in my browser, with an option to download it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@simpsonix_33 - did you ever figure this out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines