• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I remove black overprint in pdf?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to remove black overprints so they knockout? Files are supplied pdfs. Black is set to overprint.

I do not want to use the workaround of placing in illustrator, flattening, etc. It will take far too much time.

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Sure, using the print production tools > preflight > single fixup, duplicate the standard “Set all black text and vector objects to Overprint” fixup, rename it and change it to use knockout:

knockout.png

P.S. 3rd party tools such as Enfocus PitStop Pro also excel at such edits, whether performed manually, via an action list or automated from a hot folder in PitStop Server.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, using the print production tools > preflight > single fixup, duplicate the standard “Set all black text and vector objects to Overprint” fixup, rename it and change it to use knockout:

knockout.png

P.S. 3rd party tools such as Enfocus PitStop Pro also excel at such edits, whether performed manually, via an action list or automated from a hot folder in PitStop Server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much. Is there a way to set it for all objects. Not just the black?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2019 Mar 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a standard fixup called "Set Overprint Mode for all text and vector objects to 1” which you can duplicate and change to remove overprints. I have not made exhaustive tests, so there may be some objects that are not affected:

ko.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works really well if you modify the fixup a little more by adding the following checks to the default fixup after dublicating it.

- Image set to Overprint

- Spot Color obect is set to overprint

- spot color object is set to overprint (Stroked)

This way; the fixup basically covers all obeject / instanses that can be set to overprint. 

Additional Items added to FixupAdditional Items added to Fixup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am trying to do this in Acrobat DC, latest version on Windows. I have a file that client created in Indesign (I don't have a working file) and there black is set to overprint, not knock out. I have tried to do what is listed above but things seem different to what I am seeing in your screen shots. Am I missing something? When I run this the black box still is over printing and not knocking out. 

Ben__P_0-1685711803454.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines