• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't delete or move PDF

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2012 May 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Acrobate Pro version 9.5.1 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Once I have created a PDF, I find I am unable to move or delete the file. If I reboot the machine, I can delete or move the file, but as soon as I open a PDF, the problem is back until I reboot again.

It appears others have had the same problem, but I don't see any solutions. Does anyone have any suggestions or workarounds?

TIA,

Joe Parsons

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. It only happens with files of type .pdf

I was able to delete all problematic .pdf files by changing the file extension to something else, like .txt - Worked every time.

Anyone have any idea what is unique about .pdf files in Windows that would tie up the file permissions for this file type and not others?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly the same problem one of my users has - he'll delete a pdf, and try to rename another file to have the deleted file's name, and windows will say there's already a file with that name in the directory and then the deleted file magically re-appears.  This happens under his credentials on the server.  It happens if i try to manipulate his files from my laptop and our server admin encountered the same thing.  He suggested taking the user's laptop off the network to test, and he brought it home last night so this morning, i was able to delete and rename some sample files.  Is there some wonky feature of Acrobat Standard DC that does this?  This does not happen with Excel files.  I'm going to have him test with deleting files on his local hard drive to see if it happens there as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same trouble. It's got to be something with Adobe PDF. It doesn't happen with my other PDF readers. They tell you make sure it's not running somewhere in the background. Well I downloaded the unlocker program, and when it checked it said it could not find any instance where the file was being used. It was still able to close it thankfully, but that's pretty messed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 11, 2014 Apr 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem a while ago with Acrobat Reader X so uninstalled it and was using Foxit instead. I now have Acrobat Pro and the minute I installed the problem came back.

I'm using Windows Explorer in Windows 7 x64. Everything is fine until I run Acrobat. Only server files are affected. When I delete a file it seems to disappear, but when navigating away and back to the folder it's still there, but now cannot be opened. The file can usually be moved to another location, until a delete attempt is made and the file becomes broken. It seems to be locked but Unlocker does nothing on the file (i.e. nothing is listed as using it). I then can't delete, move or rename it. Rebooting solves the issue in that all locked/broken files are gone.

As expected, this isue is driving me absolutely nuts!

Does anyone know what can be done to solve the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 11, 2014 Apr 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ChrisDanger, you seem to have a different problem from everyone else, and one I've never heard of before. Perhaps one to take up with your server admin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2014 Apr 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue in Windows Exploror. When Reader 10, 11 or Acrobat Pro is installed it sets the defualt preview application for PDF files to Reader.  Rename or delete the AcroRd32.exe (\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 10.0\Acrobat) and it will fix the issue until the next adobe update runs and "Fixes" the missing file probluem is will see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Bergmann: Thank you so much! I was hesitant to respond immediately but this has definitely solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2014 Jun 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming AcroRd32.exe did the trick!

We also had this issue, not being able to delete or move the pdf file while in Preview. I renamed the above to AcroRd32.txt and all is well with the world again.

Thanks cpbergmann!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2014 Jul 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOULD BE NICE IF ADOBE PUT THIS LITTLE GEM OF INFO OUT THERE!  FIX THIS CRAP ISSUE ALREADY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2014 Aug 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, good fix, was ready to smash computer SOOOOO Frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same frustrating problem of not being able to delete an Adobe PDF.

After wasting at least 30 minutes I decided to logon to my Adobe online account.

Then I went back and tried the same delete that hadn't worked before and now it deleted the file.

It's a mystery to me why this worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2015 May 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nailed it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2015 Jun 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed this by un installing Reader XI and installing Adobe Reader DC. Works on Windows 7 and 8.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2015 Nov 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great job!

Renaming AcroRd32.exe did the trick!

We also had this issue, not being able to delete or move the pdf file while in Preview. I renamed the above to AcroRd32.txt and all is well with the world again.

Thanks cpbergmann!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

used to work under 10 & 11 - does not work on DC though.  renaming acrord32.exe only results in "file cannot be previewed".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to delete a bunch of pdfs but then i wasn't able to open any in adobe DC. I am glad i didn't delete acrord32. and yes they cant be previewed. I guess i will just keep renaming it when I have a bunch of pdfs to delete. super lame!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has only been an issue with all versions since 2007 or so...  but hey when you corner the market and own the filetype - you really don't have to make it work with everything now do you??  I like how they list it as a "known issue" in DC - when it has been a "known issue" for a decade!  Like this is something new that popped up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2015 Nov 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Foxit Reader 7.2 (free pdf reader) and removed Adobe altogether and can now move, copy, and delete any pdf files, or edit the pdf file name, and preview the pdf file at the same time without any problems. Why wait for Adobe to fix this issue if someone else has already done it. Thank you Foxit Reader, hopefully Adobe will follow your lead!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2016 May 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Renaming Acrord32 worked for me. Immediately without restart.

Although, running Win10 and Adobe CC my path was:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat

and then

AcroRd32

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problems at work with my Win10, but I will try this.  I didn't have a problem with this until they made us switch over to Win10 this year.

I'm also having this issue at home on my Win8.1 pc, which is weird, because it didn't start doing this until last week, and I've had this pc for over a year now.

I don't find Acrobat Reader on my personal pc, but what I do find is Adobe Photoshop Elements 11.  Will that still work on this program?  If this program is not affected, then why is my personal pc doing it as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried changing that file name to .txt on my work pc and that has helped some, but only SOME.

What it seems I have to do is if I want to use Preview Pane, I can turn it on and use it, but if I'm going to delete or move files I have to turn Preview Pane off, otherwise I cannot do anything with the files.

What a pain in the hands!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2014 May 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i hate you adobe!! so many people struggling with this issue and still no fix. just already die stupid corporation!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont' know if this will work for anyone else for I opened the file in Microsoft Office picture viewer after it wouldn't delete and I deleted it that way. Adobe seems to work fine now It's letting me delete files again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert the Adobe file into Nitro or Reader file via right-click options. Once converted, delete them. It worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2014 Dec 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines