• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't delete or move PDF

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2012 May 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Acrobate Pro version 9.5.1 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Once I have created a PDF, I find I am unable to move or delete the file. If I reboot the machine, I can delete or move the file, but as soon as I open a PDF, the problem is back until I reboot again.

It appears others have had the same problem, but I don't see any solutions. Does anyone have any suggestions or workarounds?

TIA,

Joe Parsons

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2015 Nov 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case indesign wouldn't let me rename a folder that contained an in design document I was previously working on. InDesign was not running.

In task manager I ended the AdobeIPCBroker.exe*32 process and It allowed me to rename my folder. The process then relaunched itself a few seconds later.

Hope this assists somebody in the future.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2015 Nov 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When is this going to be resolved, we have paid for this software and there are not updates to fix this problem. these are short term answers we need this resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2015 Dec 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that using the permanent delete function works without the need for any of the other solutions suggested. Hold the Shift Key while you select delete and it will delete the PDF. Note: it does not go to the recycle bin, it is deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2016 Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

so it is 2016 - still no update on this issue ?
i have a freshly new installed terminalserver with Server 2012 r2 and adobe reader DC (newest) installed on it and am not able to delete pdf files while the preview is enabled. Disabling isn't really an option as the customer needs it and disabling just before any file operation is just a NO GO. I mean - it works with other programms using the preview as well - so how come adobe can't solve this for the acrobat reader ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2016 Feb 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the file is not open. Disable preview mode by clicking on 'View' and making sure 'Navigation Pane', Preview Pane' & 'Details Pane' are NOT highlighted. If they are, a single click will disengage them. Following delete your file. If your still having an issue, consider GitBash.

Scott
http://www.freelance-kid.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we were able to determine that despite the file not being open and with preview pane off, that there was still a lock on the file, so we're trying various unlock utilities when the issue crops up for my user.  Thanks for your input. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-click the file check the permissions in the security tab. Your login should be listed with 'Full Access'. If not, you need to login as Administrator. In addition, you may have a virus or malware that is embedded in the file. Update virus software, run full scan, quarantine and restart your PC  (you must restart) Alternatively you can download CCleaner Free from Piriform (no others) and run registry repair. However, it sounds like your user does not have the appropriate permissions to modify/delete the file.

Scott

http://www.freelance-kid.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NTFS effective permissions show full control on the server path in question.  Our users are also members of the local administrator's group on their laptops.  We use ESET for antivirus, and if that were the faulting component, we would have a more widespread problem affecting multiple users. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not an Adobe issue. Try opening a thread with Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, but it IS an Adobe issue because this same behavior does not happen with other files like Excel spreadsheets. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found a solution. create a folder and place the pdf in that then delete the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started having this problem lately, too. It's odd that I didn't encounter it before, but perhaps before I was deleting the pdf files from the desktop rather than from an explorer window with the preview pane active. I have Windows 10 and am using Acrobat Reader DC, whatever the most up-to-date version is as of today. I scanned through the responses here and a few other places, and although there is apparently no 'fix', I wanted to summarize the most painless workarounds I've found to date so people don't have to read all the posts. YMMV with other OS & software versions.

1. The easiest way by far is to use Shift-Delete to force delete the highlighted .pdf files and bypass the Recycle Bin. It's just one extra keystroke. So far that method has worked every time for me.

2. Use the key sequence Alt-P, Alt-Up Arrow, Alt-Left Arrow, which toggles off the preview pane, moves you up to the parent folder level, then brings you back into the original folder. Once the files are deleted do Alt-P again to toggle the preview pane back on. This method is not ideal if you have to re-highlight a bunch of individual files.

3. Be outside the folder containing the .pdf file(s) to be deleted and delete the whole folder. This can be just as quick as #1 if the folder's only contents are files you want to delete. If not, you have to create a new folder and move the .pdf(s) to be deleted into it. Obviously that's kind of a pain, but if you're going to be deleting a bunch of .pdfs and even other file types from multiple folders you could put the new temporary folder on the desktop and treat it like a quasi-Recycle Bin. You'll have to drag-drop all the files to be deleted into that folder (or Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V if you prefer keyboard shortcuts), then just delete the whole temp folder when you're all done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Total fix!

I had this problem for over a year.  Adobe claimed that it was not their issue but Microsoft's.

Search for AcroRd32.exe, probably in C:\Program Files(x86)\Adbobe\Acrobat11.0\Acrobat or similar depending on your version.

Rename AcroRd32.exe to AcroRd32.exe.txt

Instant fix.  Works at least in X and XI.  Everything else on Acrobat works just fine afterwards.  If it doesn't just remove the .txt suffix.

So. Adobe, it was not MS, and you could have saved the Adobe community thousands of hours if you had just taken us seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing the preview pane in View mode worked for me. I enable preview mode and the problem came back. Removed the preview pane and was able to delete again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am answering this question here even though it was posted in 2012 because I also am running Acrobat 9 Pro (ver. 9.5.5) on Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit.  I experience this same issue today after digitally signing a .pdf document and saving it to my desktop.  I decided to change something on the document but could not open it, even with administrator privileges enabled.  So, I tried simply to delete it and start over; no go.  It refused to allow the file to be deleted no matter what I tried.  After getting to the C:\Program Files(x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat file folder and opening it, I found a a couple folders I did not recognize.  I apologize for not writing them down due to trying to troubleshoot but not realizing my solution would actually work.  But one was either called "Adobe 11.0" or "Acrobat 11.0".  Inside that folder was another folder either called "Adobe" or "Acrobat".  I deleted both folders.  When I went back to the desktop, the .pdf file I could not delete had disappeared. I emptied the Recycle Bin and then ran CCleaner to check the registry.  Sure enough, somehow Acrobat 9 pro had entered two registry entries which referred to "Acrobat 11.0" or "Adobe 11.0".   I cleaned the registry to prevent any possibility of the problem reappearing after a reboot.  So far, so good!  Hope this helps somebody else out there who is having this extremely irritating problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines