• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't delete or move PDF

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2012 May 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Acrobate Pro version 9.5.1 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Once I have created a PDF, I find I am unable to move or delete the file. If I reboot the machine, I can delete or move the file, but as soon as I open a PDF, the problem is back until I reboot again.

It appears others have had the same problem, but I don't see any solutions. Does anyone have any suggestions or workarounds?

TIA,

Joe Parsons

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2014 Dec 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Caution! These sophisticated fixes(?) are not from Adobe and are apps to run on your computer which can do anything. So, as with any download, be sure you trust the source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows 8 you have to disable Preview on the Window Pane (not just details view but also details pane)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2015 Mar 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This may not be directly related, but I just (March 2015) ran into a problem I have not seen before and we move LOTS of PDF files across all kinds of networks and network locations. 

We have seen a related behavior.

If the PDF worked BEFORE the MOVE, COPY, or RENAME, it should work AFTER the move, copy, or rename.

However, we have seen where if AFTER the MOVE that you cannot OPEN the PDF with Adobe (or move or copy the file to a new location) that perhaps your NEW PDF File name and DATA PATH structure is not well under 255 characters.

For some reason either ADOBE or WINDOWS (XP for sure) has a problem with PDF File name and DATA PATH structures that near, equal to or are great than 255 characters.

Make sure AFTER (ideally BEFORE) you MOVE, COPY, or RENAME PDF Files, that your resulting PDF File name and DATA PATH structure is under 255 characters, otheriwse you will may not be able to MOVE COPY RENAME or OPEN the PDF's in the NEW location until after your PDF File Name and DATA PATH structure is under 255 characters in total length.

PDFUser1941

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2015 Mar 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I found a way to delete it, not the best though.free jav

a) Open the pdf file you are trying to delete

b). Ctrl-Q to exit pdf reader

c). delete

It worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2016 Apr 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too. As long as you remember to have your Windows Explorer window NOT showing the PDF preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, can't delete PDF files and tried all of the suggestions with no success. Finally I right clicked the file and chose Permanently Shred with AVG and it worked! I have the free version of AVG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gizmorph, I came across the same problem and came to a similar solution by using McAfee's shred to permanently delete a file, but it took a couple times of shredding to actually delete the file.  However, I have discovery a simpler solution: Shift + Delete.  A box will pop up asking if you want to permanently delete the file, then press enter and it has been deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2016 Jun 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank goodness ...this worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2015 Jul 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click PDF, go to properties, go to security, edit SYSTEM permissions, check "deny", for all boxes. Click OK. You will be prompted for last OK. You can now delete your PDF. This worked for me. I found it by accident soul searching to solve this idiotic problem. Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2016 Jan 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its worked for me.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2016 Jan 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After trying all the suggestions unsuccessfully I used a program called LockHunter -problem solved!!

Hope this helps those who were equally frustrated. Dnld here:

LockHunter is a free 64/32 bit tool to delete files blocked by any processes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welp that isn't working for me. The program says nothing is locking it but when you click delete "oh hey sorry you can't, want to try at system startup?".

I work with a lot of pdf documents and it annoys me greatly that most of the times when I try to delete it something is using it and preventing it from being removed.

What things do not work?

- changing file extension doesn't work

- when you click on a file to remove an acrobat proces is loaded and terminating it doesn't work

- when you wait the proces vanishes but even then it doesn't work

- turning off the preview side panel doesn't work

- some people mentioned that they have not used Acrobat DC and using it helped, however I run the latest version of DC and obviously it changes nothing.

The only things that sometimes work for me is that when I reboot then perhaps for a little while I can remove it but to reboot every time I want to delete a pdf is nonsense. Using another file viewing program is nonsense because it is a basic feature that should work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First post was in May 2012. It's now August 2015.

I have the latest Adobe Acrobat DC - have their subscription (for now) and am keeping current.

I still have the issue that I cannot delete PDF files after I have opened them.

I have created a deleteme folder and move the pdfs files I want to get rid of into this temporary folder. The next time I boot up I can then delete all the files.

Will Adobe ever fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a different problem. Original poster could not move the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Long Path Tool for problems about inability to delete or move folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the view in windows explorer to "Navigation View" then try and delete your files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had same problem and it also affected my microsoft office pdf files.

Unlocker would not work; changing file extension did (thanks for that tip)

had to repair Acrobat Reader (latest version) in order to uninstall it, now all OK

will see how I get on with the MO reader before using Acrobat again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The real answer is simple but ridiculous that Adobe hasn't fixed this issue by now.

Simply turning off the preview pane when you want to delete, rename, or move the PDF solves the original post's problem. There was no need to rename the exe file as mentioned above.

We are experiencing the exact same issues in 64bit Windows 8.1 with Adobe Acrobat Pro 10 and Adobe Reader DC (don't get me started on the absolute misery that program was to us). Regardless of what program created the PDF, as long as either of the Adobe products had been run after reboot, all PDFs would get "locked" by the preview pane (which is why you couldn't see what program had not "released" the file). By turning preview off, the file extensions are released and you can do with them what you will.

We create PDFs in Acrobat, AutoCAD, Word, InDesign, Illustrator, and so on, and the problem still manifests itself regardless of what program created it. It sure would be nice if Adobe would fix this problem that apparently has persisted for at least three years now.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this solution does not always work - certainly does not work on  my system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2015 Sep 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, try opening the PDF with Notepad or Notepad++, then close it and try to move/delete it after that. It worked for me, but Idk if its a permanent fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe---see how old this thread is? See the basic functionality we're having issues with? This is not some fancy, specific, rare feature we want added or resolved. It's basic file handling. I realize you like to give most of your love to Apple and turn a blind eye to your growing base of Windows users, but for pete's sake....fix this stupid issue already. Google the issue yourself and see the threads upon threads that exist outside this forum where people have been looking to resolve this for YEARS. I'm so sick of my workflow being interrupted multiple times daily to work around this issue, or having multiple copies of the same file with a "1", "2", or "15" at the end of it cause I just needed to save OVER the pdf and couldn't do it. I have tried all of the fixes above and on occasion, they MIGHT work, but it's ridiculous that we can't just delete, move, or rename PDFs because Acrobat is doing something in the background that isn't playing well with Windows. If I sound a little overly direct and down-right ticked, it's cause I am. I've been trying to meet a magazine deadline that deals with a lot of PDF handling, and I'm at my wit's end working around this issue while trying to be productive. You guys would rather introduce fancy new features and work on putting out new products than putting your team on fixing one stupid, fundamental issue. Take one day...ONE STINKIN DAY....put your whole team on it, and tell them "Guys, nobody leaves until we figure this out". I guarantee you, your Windows users are already looking at other PDF handlers and ways to get around using this product because it's such a hassle. We are frustrated. Or does that just really not matter?

Ok. Rant over. Now go fix it. PLEASE...for the love of all that is holy....fix it. I would be more than happy to be available to help troubleshoot on my end if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I thought they'd fixed the issue in Acrobat Reader DC, by getting rid of the PDF previews. Have you upgraded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to delete the pdf file via the command prompt ("delete file.pdf"), while this was not possible via the explorer ... might be a workaround? (W10, Acrobat Pro DC, Explorer preview turned off)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2015 Oct 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes--all my versions are current. Actually, Acrobat DC only seems to have made the issue even worse. It definitely didn't fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem this morning so i used the restore back to a different point now its all working again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines