Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't edit PDF, "This document has been signed and cannot be edited"

Sep 27, 2016 Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it isn't signed.  There is a block for a digital signature, but it is not signed.

I tried File, Save A Copy; but even that copy cannot be changed.  All of the edit controls are greyed out.

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , Security digital signatures and esignatures

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2016 Sep 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open up the document properties dialog (Ctrl-D or Cmd-D), then go to the "Security" tab. What do you see there? Does it list any restrictions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope!  That's the frustrating thing.  I have a feeling it's either an issue with how the signature block was added, or there's some other goofy problem and Acrobat is throwing the error it does as "close enough".  Wondering if there's any way to enable some sort of logging to see more information about exactly what it's unhappy about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works with all other files, it's possible that this is indeed due to a corrupt PDF file, but without actually poking around in the PDF file, it's impossible to say what the problem is. Would you be able to share the PDF file in question? If you cannot share publicly, you can also contact me via a direct message (just click on my name in blue right above this comment to send a message).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm told the issue is with numerous files, but potentially all derived from the same template or form or something like that.  Unfortunately it's on a network with no Internet access.

Any ideas about things we could try would be great... I know precisely nothing about Acrobat, and the people who are using it seem to not be much better informed 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back to the document information dialog, but this time go to the "Description" tab - what does it list for "Application" and "PDF Producer"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 29, 2016 Sep 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Application - PScript5.dll Version 5.2

PDF Producer - Acrobat Distiller 5.0.5 (Windows)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just thinking that this PDF might have been saved with a Policy that limits what can be done with the PDF file or maybe the file has been certified with an invisible signature.  Check the signature panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As in, "Acrobat Pro -> Preferences -> Signatures"?  Nothing is jumping out at me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's one of the panels on the left-hand side of the document, where the Page thumbnails and Bookmarks are.

You can also display it via View - Show/Hide - Navigation Panes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unsigned Signature Fileds

- Signature1 on page 1

- Signature2 on page 1

Nothing indicating any "invisible" signatures 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran into this same problem. Individual sending the document insisted it was neither signed nor password protected but I get this message when I try to edit "Document has been signed and cannot be edited". I was trying to open with Adobe Acrobat DC Pro XI on a MacBook Pro.

I downloaded the document to an older computer  (Windows 10) using Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.5 and could easily edit.

So, this seems to be a problem with opening documents using the latest (and not so greatest) Adobe software.

Hope you can correct this in future updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "Acrobat DC Pro XI" - it's either Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, or Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.  Which one is it?

Are you sure you've updated to the latest version (use "Help>Check for updates" to verify)?

Even though there was some staff participation in this thread last year, this does not mean that Adobe is monitoring all posts here, so the better way to report a bug is to use the official bug reporting page: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Adobe Acrobat Pro DC that I am using.

Nomenclature is quite confusing since I thought I was purchasing Adobe Acrobat XI Pro but when downloading the license I had two options. Adobe support told me tha t the DC version was the most up to date.

Would the Adobe Acrobat XI Pro have performed differently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't know - if it's working in Acrobat 9.5, and the document truly is not secured, then you are dealing with a bug. The question now is is this bug new in DC, or did it already exist in Acrobat XI. Would you be able to share the document? If not, then reporting the bug is your only option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can’t share the document. Sorry….

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The only workaround that I found regarding this situation is to save the document as a .pptx format, the document format remains the same as in PDF, and after that you can edit it, and save it again in a .pdf format.

Hope it helps.

All the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly for me. Thanks!

save the document as a .pptx format, the document format remains the same as in PDF, and after that you can edit it, and save it again in a .pdf format

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PERFECT!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you mate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YASSSSSSS!! This worked like a charm! I was going mad trying to find a work-around.Thank You.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Major pain in tush, but works. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2023 Oct 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another huge thank you for you! Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I found a strange work around, if you right click on the file before opening and select " Combine files in Acrobat" a window will pop up, then you dont have to add any more files but need to Press " Combine Files" and all signatures will be removed (allowing to change document and have signatures added again)

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do all kinds of things to invalidate the signature and edit the file, but you can't re-apply it afterwards (unless you re-sign the file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines