• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't overwrite pdf on usb drive

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have a new Lenovo laptop with windows 11 pro.  I just downloaded adobe acrobat reader.  

If I comment on a file, adobe will let me "save as" and just save as the original file name (overwriting the file) if and only if the pdf file is located on my computer.  If it is located on an external hard USB drive, it will not let me save the file as the same file name, and requires that I save as a new file name.  

How can I get it to stop making me do this?  

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Benjamin25905905hbpp 

Hope you are doing well.

If it is located on an external hard USB drive, it will not let me save the file as the same file name, and requires that I save as a new file name.  

Unless the File isn't saved locally (on your device's internal drive), you will be asked to "Save As" whenever you make changes.

This is a design behavior; nothing can be changed in this. If a file is on an external drive, an email attachment, or stored on any cloud storage, "Save As" would be required. 

Ctrl+S or File>Save function only works for the local files stored on your device. So you need to download or save it locally first, and then the consecutive changes will be dedicated to the same File in the future.

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akancha, hank you for your comment. The problem was not that I had to select "save as...".  The problem was that my computer would not let me save the file as the same file name (overwrite), if the file was located on a USB drive.  Until now, I had always been able to click "save as..." and then overwrite the file.  

Fortunately, I was able to solve it.  I will post another message explaining the fix.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I reformatted my USB drive from Fat 32 to NTSF.  I do not know why, but after this I was able to "save as" PDFs which I had commented on and save them as the same file name as before.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines