Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Edit a Form in Adobe Acrobat Pro Xi - use Livecycle

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I was advised to buy Adobe Pro XI yesterday by the Direct Sales Adobe team because it includes "everything I need" to create and EDIT PDF forms.  I actually rang up to buy X but was told it was now XI.

I tried to edit a form today and got this message:

"this form cannot be edited in Acrobat. Please use Adobe Livecycle Designer to edit this form"

I was told this was included in Pro but can't get past this message.  I previously had a trial of Adobe Pro X and WAS able to edit this very form.

It is very frustrating.  I cannot edit anything I have been working on.

FormsCentral seems too basic as I need to be able to edit the field name in the properties of the field.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

David

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 18, 2012 Oct 18, 2012

LiveCycle Designer used to be included as a part of Acrobat Pro, but that

is no longer the case with Acrobat XI. You'll need to purchase it

separately if you wish to edit LC PDF forms... Of course, you can still

create PDF forms in Acrobat itself, but since the two types of forms are

not compatible, you can't edit forms that were created in LC using Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would work if you just wanted to be able to type some text in... but I need javascript out of a form I built in LiveCycle Designer...  in 2009.   I'm rebuilding the form in Acrobat and I've no clue what the coding I used was. A bunch of currency fields have to be added, then some field's content will add or subtract and come out to a final total, but I don't have the details of which fields do what. This is a pain!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please post this to a new thread.

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware that if the form is to be submitted electronically, you should not edit it in LiveCycle Designer, or print it to PDF. What you end up with will look like the original but may be rejected, as a wrong or a blank form, by the robot that reads it (no human will). This may have serious consequences, especially for government forms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, because we are unable to edit a LiveCycle PDF, the government form I am trying to digitally sign....is impossible to digitally sign.

In order to validate this official document with my signature, I'll need to either A) buy some $300 software that I'll use once, or B) print it out and mail it.

Good job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, if the form is properly set up all you need is the free Adobe Reader to sign it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LiveCycle Designer does not digitally sign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines