• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Print to Adobe PDF from Windows 10 (running Acrobat Pro DC)

Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Acrobat Pro DC on a Windows 10 PC and after working just fine, I can no longer print to the "Adobe PDF" printer.  I get the error message "There was an error when printing started.  To check the printer setup, double-click the Printers icon in Windows Control Panel."

When I go to Windows printer set-up area and set the Adobe PDF as the default printer and then select "Print a test page" I get the error "The arguments are invalid"

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Thanks to everyone for your help.  I'll never know what caused it because I eventually spent the time to run the Acrobat DC uninstall "cleaner" to fully remove all remnants of the program and then reinstalled.  After that everything seems to be working correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've narrowed it down to Outlook 2016 will not print to PDF Printer (Acrobat Pro DC installed).  Outlook WILL print to my physical printer (I don't get the error message) and I can print to the "Adobe PDF" printer from my browser (Chrome) or Microsoft Word (2016).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you use Microsoft’s own PDF-printer?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone for your help.  I'll never know what caused it because I eventually spent the time to run the Acrobat DC uninstall "cleaner" to fully remove all remnants of the program and then reinstalled.  After that everything seems to be working correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Windows 10 applied the "Fall Creators Update",  I started receiving the message "There was an error when printing started.  To check the printer setup, double-click the Printers icon in Windows Control Panel." when printing to both the Adobe PDF print driver and any physical Postscript printers. 

Uninstalling and re-installing Acrobat XI Standard fixed the problem with the Adobe PDF print driver.    The other Postscript printer drivers are still broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What other Postscript driver?

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a physical Dell B2375dfw printer that Windows 10 sees as three different printer devices: native, PS and XPS.  I also have a Xerox Phaser 7100N printer that Windows 10 sees as two different printer devices: native and PS.

After the Fall Creators Update, I can still print to the native and XPS printer devices, but printing to any of the PS printer devices returns the "There was an error when printing started." error.  I haven't yet tried re-installing the Dell and Xerox drivers to see if they fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2018 Aug 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PROBLEM SOLVED: THIS WORKED!!

SPECS: Windows 10, Outlook 2016, Acrobat 11

NOTHING ELSE WORKED: I spent an hour on the Internet. I tried 5 "solutions" and none of them worked. I did NOT want to completely uninstall and reinstall Acrobat. I wanted a quick fix.

SOLUTION STEPS

1.  Remove the Adobe PDF Printer. Go to Printers & Scanners | Remove Device

2.  Repair Acrobat. Go to Help Menu of Acrobat | Repair Acrobat Installation. The reinstall took less than 2 minutes. It didn't ask for a disk or a serial number. The program  asked to restart after the repair.

TIP: I tried doing it without step 1, and it didn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! I followed these steps and it resolved the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me when reboots, spooler restart, adobe repair (without removing Adobe PDF printer first) did not work. Remove Adove PDF printer, repair Adobe DC... done. Thx 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines