• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot save PDF as image (JPEG, PNG, etc.) "Error attempting to write to file. This may be due to insufficient disk space"

New Here ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System Specs

OS X El Capitan

Version 10.11.1

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Macintosh HD

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Adobe Acrobat XI

Architecture: i386

Build: 11.0.13.17

AGM: 4.28.145

CoolType: 5.11.141

JP2K: 2.0.0.32097

When trying to save any PDF to an image format, the message "Error attempting to write to file. This may be due to insufficient disk space" appears.

error.png

However, there is more than enough disk space to accommodate the image file.

disk space.png

I have noticed error reports similar to mine with increasing frequency on this forum. All of them have yet to be addressed.

Problem Exporting from PDF to image files

Cannot export to jpeg - disk may be locked or full

Problem Exporting from PDF to image files

Acrobat X Pro Error when Save As JPEG: Insufficient Disk Space to Perform Operation

Acrobat will no longer covert PDF to PNG format

Problem with saving a PDF file as JPEG

Error attempting to write to file. This may be due to insufficient disk space (Page 1)

This seems to be a problem independent of operating system or product version. What is going on and when can we expect a fix? The fact that Adobe cannot save PDFs to other file formats has been an ongoing frustration of myself and my colleagues for quite some time. I would be very grateful to know a method to rectify the error so that we no longer have to rely on third party software to do the job your product is supposed to do.

Also, if anybody out there is in the same boat, I encourage you to speak up. I also encourage other people to try to save PDFs as images and report whether you encounter the same issue.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you for highlighting this issue. Let me check few more details regarding this problem with Acrobat.

In the meantime please try this:

Open PDF in Acrobat

Go to File > Export To > Image > JPEG

From the Save As dialog click on Settings button at the bottom

From the Color Management pane

Click on the drop down for RGB

Select Off & Ok

Save the file as JPEG

Let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Geoffrey,

Thank you for highlighting this issue. Let me check few more details regarding this problem with Acrobat.

In the meantime please try this:

Open PDF in Acrobat

Go to File > Export To > Image > JPEG

From the Save As dialog click on Settings button at the bottom

From the Color Management pane

Click on the drop down for RGB

Select Off & Ok

Save the file as JPEG

Let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Abhishek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Abhishek,

I tried the fix you recommended. For me, it worked, but only after saving the file in a different folder.

Chrismclellan, try saving the file to a different folder first. Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abhishek's solution worked for me in Acrobat Pro DC Version 2018.011.200.38 (April of 2020 - coronavirus era ha-ha).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abhishek's solution worked for me.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2022 Jul 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for PNGs, too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2023 Dec 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This didn't work for me. Neither did saving the file in a different folder.

What I ended up doing was saving the file as a plain postscript file, then dropping the .ps file back into Adobe Acrobat, and Saving As a .jpg. The pages then exported perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running into the same issue.  I tried the fix Abhishek provided but it didn't work.  Any solution would be greatly appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2016 Aug 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is NO EXPORT TO in the most recent version of Acrobat. It no longer exists (on Mac). My only export options are to Word and I hate Word and need image files not Word files. I am on deadline for a job, and I can't even do it on my older computer with old versions because that keyboard no longer works (which is why new computer and updated Adobe programs in the first place. There are other Acrobat issues as well. Not happy at all with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with a MAC - macOS Sierra - There is a 'save as' option on the drop down menu from [file]; a side menu then offers image and choosing JPEG has worked for me until today. After that it gave me the same message as you had. Have tried the remedies suggested above but none worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur.  The workaround that proved most consistent for me was saving the file in a parent folder.  Otherwise, with the above solutions, it only worked if I waited about 10-15 mins between documents. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2017 Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, for some reason it saves into the dropbox with no problem at all. Hope that helps Adobe to find the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got this same error in Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017 when trying to export as PNG.  What fixed it for me was to go into the export settings and set Color Management > RGB: to Off instead of Embed Profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.  I just downloaded and subscribed using the free intro.  Boss asked for ability to save as .png.  The Adobe Acrobat DC Pro cannot do this in any folder.  I looked for settings | Color Management, but found those commands only in Edit | Preferences | Color Management.  No option to turn RGB to "Off".

I turned the Color Management to "Adobe RGB (1998)" and that made it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for asking the question. I had the same issue. Saving it in a different folder worked, as a jpg and as a png. Very odd. Not sure who gave this suggestion first so I am thanking you for asking the question and getting all the responses.

bb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines