Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing The Document: Not Allowed

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Anyone who can help us on our issue regarding with the files created using Acrobat 7.

When we open the files using higher versions the Changing the Documents and Document Assembly always marked as Not Allowed but when we open it using Acrobat 7 all settings are Allowed. tried this in few computers running Acrobat 7 with same results.

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Hi, I just came across this forum because I was having the same problem. I eventually figured out a solution that worked for me, so I thought I would post it here if it might help someone. I have Adobe XI Pro and was not able to edit a document that had no security settings made by Adobe 7, I kept getting the message that it was signed. I went to Tools>Forms>Edit Form, and I got an error saying the document was signed, but it also asked me if I wanted to save a copy, so I did. Then I was able to

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2014 Sep 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi So sorry about that. I've contacted the Chat Support many times regarding with this issue and they told me the Adobe Communities are monitored/managed by Adobe Product Expert Support team (Adobe Employee) but up to now never heard from them. very frustrated on the support they gave us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is basically a cop-out by the chat team. Certainly, we sometimes hear from Adobe staff in here. But there's nothing official about that, and if they said it was where to get higher level support, they were just wrong. Now, chat won't be interested in what Acrobat 7 does, it's dead in their eyes, and was buried before most of them started. But really you can phrase your question entirely in terms of what the current release does. I'm pretty sure the answer is, yes, it does that and it's supposed to, but maybe you will get more insight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Test Screen Name, you are correct. They dont want to entertain any questions related with older version of Acrobat specially Version 7. but what they dont understand is this is not only related with older version of Acrobat. we are currently using the latest version and this latest version having problem modifying the old PDF files. if this is only one file, i can help the users to rebuild it but tons of PDF files with multiple pages needs to be done. for PDF created using latest version, we dont have problem modifying it using older version of acrobat.

I've tried to reverse the process by opening the pages that needs to be added to old PDF files, this can be done but all the signatures from old PDF are gone. Form settings also gone. 

hope someone from Acrobat Helpdesk can help us about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's review. There are several possibilities if you are not allowed to edit a PDF. 1. the security is set; 2. the PDF is signed (and either can not be edited or the signatures become invalid -- one of the two); 3. the PDF is corrupt; and 4. the PDF was created in a newer version and the version being used can't modify the file. There may be other reasons. It may be useful if you can share a sample file with us to look at. You will have to post it online, possibly dropbox or Acrobat.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bill, Thanks for the reply. here are what I've done to try to resolve this issue.

Note: Original PDF files created and signed using Acrobat 7 Pro / Standard - Oldest PDF files we have i think created year 2005 / 2006.

Here is the sample file - Acrobat Test-file.pdf - Google Drive  

The sample file created using Acrobat 7 can be modify and sign using different PC with Acrobat 7 Pro / Standard installed. This same sample file cannot modify / sign using any Acrobat version higher than 7 (Pro or Standard).

I've tried to create PDF file using Acrobat 10 Pro with signature but no security restrictions. here is the sample file Page 1 with Sign - Acrobat 10 with inserted page.pdf - Google Drive this same file can be modified using Acrobat 7 Pro.

For your Item 1 (the security is set):  - there are no security restriction set in files

For your Item 2 (the PDF is signed): PDF Files have multiple digital Signature but not lock as files continuously updating when revision are available.

For your Item 3 (the PDF is corrupt): PDF files can open using any version but can only modify using Acrobat 7.

For your Item 4 (he PDF was created in a newer version and the version being used can't modify the file): files are created using Acrobat 7. I've also tried to create pdf files using Acrobat 10 Pro. Files created in Acrobat 10 Pro can modify / Sign using Acrobat 7 Pro without any problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's assume this is by design.  Seems probable, though I can't confirm it. Then your solution is to upgrade everyone's Acrobat and make sure they are not set up to lock after signing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Test Screen Name, Most of them are using latest version of Acrobat that is why we encounter this issue. they have old files that needs to be updated but not possible using the latest Acrobat version, only Acrobat 7 can do the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I understand now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at it a bit more and found that you cannot do anything to the files, even eliminate the signatures. It got a bit frustrating. I would think you could remove the signatures and then modify the file, but that is not happening (actually, the manual indicates it will invalidate the signature as in your PDF). That had been my understanding, but I could not find anyway to remove the signatures. I have tried in AA9 and later, but none allow me to remove the signatures. It appears that what you need is a way to remove the signatures on the old files, make the changes, and then resign.

Unfortunately, I can't find a way to do this, though it would seem reasonable. You can refry the PDF, but then you have to deal with the refrying issues that also eliminates all markup. I am looking at possible solutions, but at this point I don't see a solution. I looked at preflight and found no alternatives there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bill for trying.

If you just want to delete Digital signature from PDF file, you may reverse the process by opening the PDF page(using higher version of Acrobat v8 to v11) that you want to insert to old PDF file (created Acrobat 7) then perform an insert page and choose the old PDF file. After inserting, if your Old PDF file is a PDF Form(LiveCycle) then all settings will be gone also. Meaning it will be converted to flat PDF file.

For our case, our old PDF files were created / designed as a Form where there are multiple digital signature boxes, buttons, text box etc. that we need to preserve that is why we cannot do the above process.

Acrobat Chat Support suggested to do Print to PDF , this can be done but again it will flatten the PDF file. They also suggested create new PDF file but sad to say Acrobat LiveCycle no longer included in latest acrobat version and redo all old pdf files(50,000++) is not acceptable solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, maybe I missed something. I thought the files were made with Acrobat 7. But now you say they are LiveCycle (Designer) forms. These cannot be edited in Acrobat anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pls don't be confused . the sample file given to you was created and signed using Acrobat 7 and this is not a form or from livecycle. this is a simple PDF file with signature.

here is the link.

Acrobat Test-file.pdf - Google Drive

we don't need to edit the Form or the Live Cycle design. we just need to input the info and attach the newly created revision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just came across this forum because I was having the same problem. I eventually figured out a solution that worked for me, so I thought I would post it here if it might help someone. I have Adobe XI Pro and was not able to edit a document that had no security settings made by Adobe 7, I kept getting the message that it was signed. I went to Tools>Forms>Edit Form, and I got an error saying the document was signed, but it also asked me if I wanted to save a copy, so I did. Then I was able to edit the copy just fine. I had tried the "save as" option before that and it did not work, so it seems that 'saving a copy' and 'save as' are not the same. There may be another way to save a copy, but that's the solution I came across.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also having an issue. I have extracted the pages with the "signature" and clicked "delete after extracting" and this seems to help. GLA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines