• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

coding for submit button with subject line

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

submit button with drop down list.  Select recieptent from list and then hit submit. How can I create a subject line?

Here is the code we are using (below) but it creates a subject line like this? A91h4gylz_15b7xpu_ca0.fdf

var email = this.getField("Email To:").value;var cSubLine = "Meeting Request Form";
this.mailForm(false, email);

TOPICS
JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not doing anything to set the subject of the email at all. Just setting a variable called cSubLine, which you then do nothing with. I suspect you are trying to adapt a sample you have not studied closely enough, and have removed the parts which made it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apoligize here is the code from the form properties

var email = this.getField("Email To:").value;

How can I create one with a subject line?  If it was just a submit button I could, but it's pulling the email from a drop down list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned, you did not use the cSubLine variable at all.

Change this line:

To this:

this.mailForm({bUI: false, cTo: email, cSubject: cSubLine});

Note, however, that setting bUI as false will not work if you use this command from a button field. You must run it from a privileged context (such as a folder-level trusted function) to be able to submit the form data silently in this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and it is a "PDF" submit button and it would not work....  I have a list to pick the email and then click submit and would like to create a subject line. It currently creates a weired subject line "A919xyn6u_5d0mwq_8zw.fdf" .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain exactly what you mean by " it is a "PDF" submit button and it would not work". It's supposed to submit a PDF, that's what it's for. What messages do you get? What does it say in the JavaScript Console?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a PDF fill-in form and once it's completed there is a dropdown menu where you can select who it gets emailed to and then you click the submit button. I wished it had a subject line but this is the code in the button actions. ( Mouse Up, Run a JavaScript)

I have checked all my adobe books a cannot find a solution to have it add the subject line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that's just what you originally had. You said "I tried that and it is a "PDF" submit button and it would not work."

I assumed you meant you tried the different code that someone wrote for you to try, which SPECIFICALLY added a subject line, as you requested. Please tell us what happens when you try it and why it would not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried this suggustion

Change this line:

To this:

and the result was when you click the submit button, nothing happend......  R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing, nothing at all? Did you check the JavaScript console for errors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you need us to tell you how to check the JavaScript console for errors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> It's supposed to submit a PDF

Actually, it's supposed to submit an FDF file. If you want to submit the PDF use mailDoc, not mailForm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you read this article:

https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/dynamically-setting-submit-e-mail-address/

If nothing is happening, then there is a problem. The first thing to do when there is a problem is check the console, as Mr. Screen as already indicated. But its also good to look up the code in the reference, so you get it right. 

https://opensource.adobe.com/dc-acrobat-sdk-docs/acrobatsdk/html2015/index.html#t=Acro12_MasterBook%...

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thom,

I don't know what the JavaScript console is?  I did read the first articale before ever posting here. I'm just at a loss, so thanks for your input.  The file that attaches to the email is actually an FDF file.

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must read Thom's tutorial on this subject, then:

https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/javascript_console

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That tutorial is helpful and i found the console; however, it doesn't solve my issue on adding the subject line to the script.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happened when you used the code I provided? Where did you place it? Can you share your file with us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I placed the code in the action for the submit button and when used like below and click submit nothing happens... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You misunderstood what I meant... Use this code:

var email = this.getField("Email To:").valueAsString;
var cSubLine = "Meeting Request Form";
this.mailForm({cTo: email, cSubject: cSubLine});

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Morning, Try67

That did not work and when I clicked the submit button nothing happened.  Here is what the error is in the console:

MissingArgError: Missing required argument.
Doc.mailForm:1:Field submit:Mouse Up
===> Parameter bUI.
MissingArgError: Missing required argument.
Doc.mailForm:1:Field submit:Mouse Up
===> Parameter bUI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back and tried the first suggestion with this new code and replaced this line

this.mailForm({cTo: email, cSubject: cSubLine});

with this one

This works and gives the email a subject line = Meeting Request Form

😀

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems that the bUI parameter is required for mailForm (it's not for mailDoc, strangely).

Setting it to false will be ignored, though. You should set it to true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines