• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Combine files stuck on checking for security settings?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2012 Aug 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Acrobat X Pro 10.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.6.8

I've been trying to combine 2 pdf files (scanned to pdf using Preview on Mac) in Adobe Acrobat. However, it keeps getting stuck on checking for security settings for a long time (see screenshot below).

Screen shot 2012-08-20 at 12.07.03 PM.png

I checked the security settings on each pdf file and they both are showing no security.

Screen shot 2012-08-20 at 12.11.54 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-08-20 at 12.12.13 PM.png

I opened the original file using Preview, open the Print window and saved it to PDF under different name and still I can't combine the files. Is there any other way to get this done? I've been searching on Google and this forum for hours and found no solution to my problem.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 07, 2012 Nov 07, 2012

Insert Pages is the normal tool for combining PDF files, possibly many thousands of pages; the special thing in the File menu is a new tool, and not any more efficient in its resuls. For combining just two files, it hardly seems even quicker to use.

After combining files it's important to use SAVE AS PDF not just SAVE. This does some housekeeping, otherwise the resulting file is much larger than it needs to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2014 Oct 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like a completely different problem: it isn't hanging and it isn't on a Mac. But this may be easier to solve. What is the application that created the document, as mentioned in the message? Is it Word? Excel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is on Windows 7 and I am trying to convert Word 2013 in the "Combine Files" tool.  It will convert/merge Xcel 2013 files and PDF files.  I only get the warning with the Word 2013 files.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Let's start in Word. Does the Acrobat ribbon show up in Word?

If it shows up, does it work to make a PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the ribbon is there and yes it does make a PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that's a good start. Now, starting this time in Acrobat, are you able to create a PDF from a single Word document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does not work.  I get the same security warning message.  It does work with Xcel though.  I compared all similar "Trust Center" settings between Word and Xcel and made them the same.  That did not fix anything either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2014 Nov 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this didn't work for me either. A better way is to open a PDF, open the "Pages" view and simply drag and drop the PDFs into that pane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2015 Jan 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Benito,

Your workaround works like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2015 Nov 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried what you suggested for combining files and it worked!

Thanks a bunch.

Sincerely,

Don James

Henderson, Texas USA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!!

You actually addressed the issue. OK, I may be an idiot, but I actually can't get the  "well, if doesn't work, then use Preview" to work for me; your reply did.

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx Benito..

works for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the answer!  I have found that Adobe Acrobat X is buggy.

1.) I cannot click on a pdf file in the finder to open in Acrobat X  - I must open the file from within the program.

2.) I cannot combine 2 or more pdf files in Adobe Acrobat X  as the files keep getting stuck on checking for security settings forever.

The FIX is to move back down to Acrobat 8. Adobe is giving the old versions away for free. Here is one place to downlod the old version: Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 Download - TechSpot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is absolutely not the case that Acrobat 8 is free. Many sites, by misunderstanding or not, claim it, but it is not the case. A valid license is needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is quite true that you can now download Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 for free on many reputable sites. A valid license key is provided. I find this is the best/only way to be able to combine 2 or more pdf files into one document without the program freezing on 'checking for security settings'. Adobe Acrobat Pro X is too buggy for me. I am happy to step back to 8.

I would like to continue to use Adobe Acrobat X but I cannot deal with this version's inability to complete certain simple tasks that it did so well in earlier versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2015 Apr 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These sites are mistaken to state that it is free, I believe. The same wrong statement is made about Acrobat 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2015 Apr 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously,

I have the answer!  I have found that Adobe Acrobat X is buggy.

1.) I cannot click on a pdf file in the finder to open in Acrobat X  - I must open the file from within the program.

2.) I cannot combine 2 or more pdf files in Adobe Acrobat X  as the files keep getting stuck on checking for security settings forever.

The FIX is to move back down to Acrobat 8.

Adobe 8 IS available as a FREE download here:

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4683-adobe-acrobat-8.html

The license key is noted on the web page for Mac and PC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2015 Apr 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This web site is in error. It may be offering a download of Acrobat 8, and the site may not be charging, but Acrobat 8 has never been released as free software by Adobe. This is simply a pirate version, but wherever the misinformation started it has now been repeated by sites you would not expect to push pirate software. Business using the download without a valid license could find themselves in serious trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who cares, it works! Thats what you get for having super buggy software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,
I was facing this same issue but found one solution that worked for me. You can try and see if that helps you. 
For the images that you are trying to combine, export them with Photoshop once and then try to combine them (exported ones) in Adobe Acrobat. It worked for me so decided to share, might work for you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac,, Individually select the .JPG files you want (sequentially), right click, Quick Actions, Create PDF...

Definately a PIA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thank you! actually makes the pdf quicker too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For anyone else who may run into this issue.  My workaround was to open each document in adobe and instead of inserting the files, I selected combine open files and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines