• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

continuing poster printing when cancelled

New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was printing a very large document in poster format (120 pages) and 45 pages in my ink cartridges ran out. I panicked and cancelled the print, but now when I want to try again I can't find a way to continue where I left off. It would be too expensive for me inkwise to do it all over again. Is there any way to specify which pages are to be printed when printing in poster mode? I feel like it's being treated like one single image until it's sent to the printer and by then it's too late to change it. I'm using a pixma MG6350

TOPICS
How to , Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, there does not seem to be a way to specify which pages are to be printed when printing in poster mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, too bad. Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One simple solution (I think) …

Make a copy of the original PDF file. Open the copy and delete the pages that have already printed. Save the file and then initiate the printing again.

Good luck!

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I go about deleting those specific pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you posted in the Acrobat community, we assume you are running some version of Acrobat Pro or Acrobat Standard. 

Once the PDF file is open in Acrobat press Shift-Ctrl-D (or the equivalent under MacOS), enter the range of pages to delete, and press enter. Voila, pages deleted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I'm using acrobat Pro. The problem is that there is only one page to begin with turning into 120, so there are no pages in the reader to delete. The image is in 30k resolution which is why it's able to be sized up so much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it! You are going one page to 120 pages. Somewhat different scenario than what I understood.

OK, in this case, you need to crop the page such that what has already been printed doesn't show anymore. The Set Page Boxes dialog in Acrobat Pro will accomplish this by letting you crop away (at least for display and printing purposes) what you have already printed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That should do it. Thank you so much! my wallet breathes a sigh of relief.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm you're on a Windows machine you can print the file to the Adobe PDF virtual printer using the same settings. It will generate a new PDF file with a separate page for each physical page that would have sent to the printer. Now open that file and print it normally, selecting the page range you want to print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely not a particularly good idea since “refrying a PDF” potentially yields a lower quality PDF file with flattened transparency (at some particular resolution) and lost color management!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, but in some cases that might be a price you're willing to pay in order to not have to re-do a print job from scratch. If the file is mostly text, for example, then it doesn't matter that much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See my lossless previous solution vis-a-vis the Set Page Boxes tool!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines