Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conversion of Ms word to PDF

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I created a help guide for ABC application in MS word. When i converted into PDF hyperlinks are not working. Also I need the contents page should be convert as PDF title haierarchy ?(which will should as hierarchy on left side for the original PDF document).

Please guide me on this

Thanks

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from Reader to an Acrobat forum... Mod]

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

For the best results, I always recommend using the "PDF Maker" which is the Acrobat Ribbon in MS Word.  If you visit the Preferences button first, be sure that your Add Links feature is enabled.  Then use the Create PDF button.  You may already be doing this, but I find many folks use the Save as PDF feature of Word, which often yields a weak PDF, IMHO.

pdf_maker1.jpg

The PDF Maker will also allow you to choose a Word style and have it converted to PDF Bookmarks.  Find the setting also in the Preferences of the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not aware that the free Reader (where you posted this) could convert files

Are you using Reader, or Acrobat?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Acrobat DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the best results, I always recommend using the "PDF Maker" which is the Acrobat Ribbon in MS Word.  If you visit the Preferences button first, be sure that your Add Links feature is enabled.  Then use the Create PDF button.  You may already be doing this, but I find many folks use the Save as PDF feature of Word, which often yields a weak PDF, IMHO.

pdf_maker1.jpg

The PDF Maker will also allow you to choose a Word style and have it converted to PDF Bookmarks.  Find the setting also in the Preferences of the PDF Maker.  The TOC styles shown below would be helpful for your Table of Contents link needs.

pdf_maker2.jpg

I hope this is helpful.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave..It working as i expected. But after PDF created it is allowing to edit the PDF doc can you guide how can I made it non-Editable.

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To keep others from editing your PDF, you can go to the document's Properties (File>Properties - or Ctrl-D) and choose the Security tab.

security1.jpg

If you change the Security Method from No Security to Password Security, you will see the following dialog box which will allow you to set  permission passwords (for opening, editing, copying from, etc.) to your file.

security2.jpg

DO NOT FORGET YOUR PASSWORDS!  And be sure to save your changes. Security is actually applied after the file is next saved.

It sounds to me that your needs would not require an Open password (so anyone can open it), but would benefit from a Permissions one to restrict editing).

I hope this is helpful information.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OR... you could combine both concepts of conversion and security by visiting the PDF Maker's preferences, and selecting the Security tab.  You can apply security as the PDF is being created!

pdfmaker4.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've tried "Save as PDF," the PDF maker ribbon, and Acrobat itself (create a PDF from a file).  In all cases, only the first MS Word bookmark is created and none of the rest.  (That seems curious by itself.  You would think it would create all or none of them.)  Very frustrating.  It seems like a pretty simple thing to get right after all these years..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very exactly how did you do the conversion?

The free Adobe Reader does not have the ability to convert an MS Word doc to a PDF. Adobe does sell a subscription web service for users of the free Adobe Reader to convert MS Word docs to PDFs, but you will need to pay for this added service.

If you want the target Word documents in the links to open as PDF files, you will first have to convert all those documents to PDFs, re-edit all the links to those documents and make then relative links to appropriate PDF file, and then re-convert all the Word documents with links into PDF files. Now when it comes time to move all the files you must retain the document and directory structure on the target location. If you want to use absolute locations for the targets of the links, then you will need to place all the PDF at the appropriate final location and hope the server on which they reside will never be renamed or have its base address changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines