• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert jpg to pdf document size change

Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just wondering if someone could help me get my head around what I'm finding happens when I convert JPG to PDF with Acrobat.

I've exported a 5cm x 21cm document from illustrator as a JPG set to 300ppi, if I open the image in Photoshop I can see the image dimensions match that. If I then create a PDF from that JPG with Acrobat, the PDF's document size changes to 20.847cm x 87.515cm - the image is being changed to 72ppi. I'm wondering why that is happening as I need the document properties to remain 5cm x 21cm at 300dpi.

I know I can export straight to PDF from illustrator and the resulting PDF have the correct properties, I was just more wanting to get my head around what/why the conversion from JPG to PDF would do what it's doing.

Thanks

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Just tested on my end and the resolution remained as per the original.

The methods I used were drag the jpg onto the Acrobat icon and File > Create > PDF from file.

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How strange, I'm taking the same steps and the Page Size in Properties shoots up within the PDF. However if I export back to JPG from the converted PDF the resulting JPG is the correct resolution, dpi and physical dimensions.

It's not really an issue as there's a way around it, I'm just interested in why it's doing it.

It's only really apparent if I print the converted PDF and set the scaling to "None" to try and get it to print at my required dimensions - obviously with the Page Size shooting up it would no longer have the correct native size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need to control the dimensions and resolution of the PDF, save as PDF from Photoshop, do not directly convert using Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Why is the pdf dimension bigger than the original jpg?

I don't have a way around. I have no Photoshop and make my images in paint.net.

Is there a FREE way of doing this without getting into expensive suscriptions? I don't do this commercially, just one conversion per year or so. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But this whole question is about converting with Acrobat - and problems with that. If you aren't paying, you aren't going to see that issue. Acrobat isn't free, only Acrobat Reader.

Yes, there are free solutions. No, it's not appropriate in Adobe's forums to send people to non-Adobe products!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines