• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'Cos document table full' while using Comments

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a PDF which has a fair amount of mark up (mine) but I now can't add any more, or edit the mark up, because whenever I click on any mark up I get the error message 'Cos document table full'. It's started happening on a few of my PDFs now. 

When I've searched this issue, people seem to have problems if they're signing documents. There are no signatures in my documents, just mark up using the Comments feature. Please can someone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Acrobat are you using? I've never seen this message. How many annotations do you think you have in the document? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've got approx 500 comments in it, and it's a 145 page document, including images. 

I'm using Adobe Acrobat DC (21.007.20099).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not a lot of comments, but it's certainly possible that the PDF file itself is highly complex (and therefore uses a lot of COS objects). I just had a script create about 3500 annotations in a document without a problem.

The first thing I would try is to do a "Save As" on the document. When you do a normal "Save", Acrobat will save an incremental update. This means that the original file is being kept intact, and new or modified information is added to the end of the original file. If you have a lot of these incrementtal updates, you might fill up the space that is reserved for COS objects (but again, I've never seen this error message before, and I've worked with PDF files for a long time). Doing a Save As will recreate the document from scratch, and that might fix your problem. So, do a save as to a new filename, and then see if you can open this file and add more annotations without getting the error. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion and detailed explanation. I've just tried that, but the problem still persists unfortunately (screenshot below). Do you have any other suggestions? Do you think it could be corrupted in some way?

CosDocument.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What sort of comments are they? For instance, are they attached docs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, mainly annotations, so deletion, highlighting, sticky notes etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2022 Jan 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm suddenly experiencing the same problem--unable to mark up using comments. Just keep getting the "Cos document table full" message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not! I tend to split the PDF into sections now if I know there will be a lot of mark up on it, which helps (although isn't ideal if you need to look at one complete document).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. I was just chatting with Tech support for about an hour. Turns out, in my case, there were restrictions placed on commenting by the creator of the document. So having to send it back to get the restrictions removed. One way to test is to see if you can add a comment to a new document that you created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. So after some digging (i.e. asking the various parties involved), it turns out it was NOT a permissions issue in my case. Even the original creator of the file was getting the same error message. Instead, it looks like that particular file was corrupted somewhere along the line. I couldn't even extract a single page without getting a Cos document table full message. Went back to an earlier version of the file, and it was fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that occurs to me is that, possibly, it was signed over and over with digital signatures. You can check this looking at the signature panel in the left bar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were no signatures in the file. However there were a lot of comments. In this particular file, I could use the comment tool to make a comment, but I could not use any of the drawing tools (which I need--I'm a development editor). Also could not extract pages or do a comparison of documents without getting the same error message. And in fact, if I have the file open, then other files are affected the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try my "Save As" suggestion from above? This is oftentimes a good indication for a corrupt PDF - if the Save As fails with a cryptic error message, then there is a pretty good chance that the file is corrupt. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, tried the "Save As" suggestion. There wasn't a problem saving with another file name, but problem still existed in the file, regardless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it all back! I started working on the earlier version of the file and after adding three comments, I got the "cos" error again. Another 1.5 hours with tech support, and the only thing they could offer was to "sanitize" the document, removing all 874 comments/edits by the authors. I told them this was an unacceptable solution. (They also told me that the "cos" error was caused by too many background calls and that I had "too many documents." because I "hadn't cleaned my system." Because other people on other systems had the exact same problem, I find it doubtful that it was just my background documents that were causing the problem.)

I tried splitting the file using extraction, and got the same cos error. I then tried deleting pages manually, and got another error. I also tried deleting all the comments manually and got the same cos error. Finally, I redownloaded the working version of the file (V3) and was able to split it by extracting pages. Oddly enough, the two split files were MUCH smaller than the original file (which for some reason was 175 MB!). I've thrown all this back to the publisher, in the hopes that Adobe will be more helpful to an enterprise client to an individual. In the meantime, Check your file sizes--I found this problem occurred in files over 100MB. (Also, not sure why the file size ballooned so much--the original file was only 70MB). Splitting a large file into separate files seems to be the only solution right now. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can (that is with a document that behaves normally, so all bets are off regarding your document) export all comments in Acrobat (it's under the "..." menu on the comments pane), then delete all comments, and then import the comments again (same menu). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Karl. Useful to know! Does that include any markup as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines