• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Counting Bookmarks in Acrobat DC?

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a complete newbie and I would like to count all the (Literally hundreds) of bookmarks in a document, but I can't seem to find the option. Is there a way to do it? I've heard that you can use code to do it but I'm not very well-versed there, can anybody help me out?

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting , JavaScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Hello,

I copied and modified the code from the link below.

The modified code will add the menu item “Count Bookmarks” to the bottom of the “File” menu, and when executed it will display the number of bookmarks in a alert window.

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 8.52.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-17 at 8.52.16 PM.png

Copy the code below into the TextEdit app and under the Format menu Make Plain Text and save the a file with the .js extension.

Place the script file Here:

Mac-HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Users⁩ ▸ UserName ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Application Support⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe⁩ ▸ ⁨Acrobat⁩ ▸ ⁨DC⁩ ▸ ⁨JavaScripts⁩.

Similar s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

I copied and modified the code from the link below.

The modified code will add the menu item “Count Bookmarks” to the bottom of the “File” menu, and when executed it will display the number of bookmarks in a alert window.

Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 8.52.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-06-17 at 8.52.16 PM.png

Copy the code below into the TextEdit app and under the Format menu Make Plain Text and save the a file with the .js extension.

Place the script file Here:

Mac-HD⁩ ▸ ⁨Users⁩ ▸ UserName ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Application Support⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe⁩ ▸ ⁨Acrobat⁩ ▸ ⁨DC⁩ ▸ ⁨JavaScripts⁩.

Similar steps if you happen to be a PC user.

Privileged execution context that is required to make this work in all instances, so you have to go into your JavaScript preferences in Acrobat and check the setting for "Enable menu items JavaScript execution privileges":

X.png

Once the script file is placed in the Acrobat Javascripts folder and the JavaScript preferences are set, you'll need to quit and restart Acrobat.

http://khkonsulting.com/2009/03/counting-bookmarks/

function CountBookmarks(bkm, nLevel)
{
    var count = 0;
    if (bkm.children != null)
    {
        count = bkm.children.length;
        for (var i = 0; i < bkm.children.length; i++)
        {
             count += CountBookmarks(bkm.children[i], nLevel + 1);
        }
    }

return count;
}

function DoIt()
{
    var n = CountBookmarks(this.bookmarkRoot, 0);
    app.alert("Number of bookmarks found: " + n);
}

app.addMenuItem({
     cName: "countBookmarks",
     cUser: "Count Bookmarks",
     cParent: "File",
     cExec: "DoIt();",
     cEnable: "event.rc = (event.target != null);"
});

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines