• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating PDF files that allow me to copy text content

Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After performing a clean install of Windows 7 Professional and re-installation of Acrobat 11, I lost the ability to highlight and copy text using [Ctrl].

As a matter of fact, I can not longer highlight the text.

The PDF files of interest are Saved to PDF files using Chrome's printing feature.

I tried the following method without success.

I am working on my son and daughter's financial aid filing and I am about to pull my hair out.

Any assistance would be immensely appreciated!

Sincerely,

Joe

7. Re: Copy highlighted text 

warbyparker7  Level 1

warbyparker7  Mar 21, 2013 2:10 PM  (in response to robertslater) 

If you go to Adobe Preferences, under commenting, check the box that says "Copy selected text into Highlight, Cross-Out, and Underline comment pop-ups". By doing so, next time you click on highlighted box, the pop up will come up with the same text inside - right clicking, etc, will allow you to copy that text.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

I solved the problem!

The phenomena I was experiencing was the result of PRINT TO THE ADOBE PDF CONVERTER.

The desired outcome and the outcome I experienced in the past, which is demonstrated by the second image above, resulted from SAVE AS PDF.

Sorry for the unnecessary inconvenience. The only hope that this question assists someone else who makes the same mistake I did.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I identified the source of the problem!

When I save a document as a PDF from MS Word 2013, I can highlight the text. However, when I save a document as a PDF as a print option from Gmail or a Chrome or IE browser, I get these large swipes of stuff instead of highlighted text.

In a moment, I will post a good example from MS Word 2013 and a failed example from Gmail.

I should add that for years I have been able to highlight and copy text from PDF files produced by the same method above including as recently as before my clean install of Windows 7 Pro and re-installation of Acrobat XI.

Again, I am in dire need of ridding myself of my workaround albatross.

Thanks!

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GoodnBad.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem!

The phenomena I was experiencing was the result of PRINT TO THE ADOBE PDF CONVERTER.

The desired outcome and the outcome I experienced in the past, which is demonstrated by the second image above, resulted from SAVE AS PDF.

Sorry for the unnecessary inconvenience. The only hope that this question assists someone else who makes the same mistake I did.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for posting this, I've been very frustrated by the same problem!  For years it was never a problem, but only recently, PDFs created by Print to Adobe PDF Converter have been almost useless because selecting text and highlighting are impossible. Why would anyone want a non-highlightable PDF as a default?

Adobe, I have no idea why you made this change, but it's on you, and I am very unhappy about it.

However, I'm still stumped by PDFs created from a browser.

Word and Excel have a "SAVE AS PDF" option that creates a PDF where text can be selected and highlighted.

Google Chrome also has such a feature.

However, MS Edge does not!!!  

So, if I'm working in MS Edge and I've found a web page or online article that I want to convert to a PDF I can highlight, I have to copy the URL and open Google Chrome.  

This is a real pain and I blame Adobe for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines