• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ctrl+Wheel and Marquee Zoom don't work, and even select text with Hand Tool

Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody, I'm having a lot of problems that I don't understand.

I have just installed Acrobat Reader DC in 2 PCs, Win10, and I get the same problems on both.

I don't get the same problems with any other software.
I have other PCs with Windows 10, same version of Acrobat, which work fine.

1) if I press Ctrl and I rotate the wheel, Acrobat simply scrolls. "Make Hand tool use mouse-wheel zooming" actually zooms when I use the Hand tool and I rotate the wheel, but ...

2) ... the Hand tool doesn't move the page

3) if I select Marquee Zoom it doesn't let me select any region, it zooms immediately as I click the mouse button

4) I set "Make Hand tool select text & images" but it doesn't select anything

5) the Selection tool doesn't work: it doesn't select anything as well

I have uninstalled Acrobat and installed again with no success.

I have replaced the mouse and the keyboard with no success.

Thanks for your help, best regards.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

solved: I updated to the last version, and now it's working properly. It's strange because I downloaded Acrobat a few days ago, anyway it works.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

today is not working again 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm... If you change the magnification of the view, does it change the way it's behaving?  If you zoom way in, can you move around a single page using the hand tool?

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Dave, today everything worked fine for some minutes, but now I have the same problems.

I think the fault is in catching the command from the keyboard and from the mouse. It's a problem I have only inside Acrobat, because even Note Pad works properly.

If I zoom in/out by pressing +/- it works, but if I try to zoom in/out by pressing Ctrl and rotating the mouse wheel it doesn't.

The hand tool doesn't work: I can't move anything.

I repaired Acrobat 2 times without any success.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the problem was due to the HP Display Assistant. I have just quitted it, and after some days Acrobat not working properly, now it works.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar issue - mouse commands for Ctrl+Scroll Wheell to zoom, highlighting, dragging the size of comment text boxes were not working, but I could zoom using Ctrl + or Ctrl - on the keyboard, and I could highlight using Ctrl + Shift  on the keyboard. As soon as I ended task for HP Display Assistant in the task manager, Adobe started working again. Does anyone have any ideas of why this is happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Minos!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG - this fixed mine too
What a pain in the ass!

How did you ever figure this out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar issue w/ Photoshop & HP... an export command shortcut (ctrl/alt/shift S) would also bring up an HP system dialog box each time - very annoying.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just had Acrobat DC installed on my computer and I'm losing my mind, trying to figure out how to get the hand tool to actually work and mouse wheel/ctrl zoom in/out to work.  The hand will not grab the page in order to move it around and the zoom in/out with the mouse wheel/ctrl is non existant as far as I can see.  Please let me know if there is a fix for this, or one planned.  I love all the signing features so far and want to keep the program but these other features are key to navigating documents.  I shouldn't have to switch to Reader in order to use those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Visit your Preferences, click on General on the left, and see how you have these settings.  See if altering anything here gives you what you need,

hand tool settings.png

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  All those boxes are checked but it has made no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have added that I do not see this 'HP Display Assistant' running in my task manager.  Could it be called something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to close this out, after 2 solid days of trying everything, the problem appears to be fixed after a reboot of my computer.  The check boxes work properly now and I have been able to toggle the different options off and on successfully.  The hand and pointer tools, as well as the mouse wheel/ctrl zoom, are both working like they once did.

Not sure who or what to give credit to.....but thanks!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - glad you have a good outcome... but man, what a path to get there!

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2023 Aug 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was just today having a similar issue and it was solved when I closed the Grammerly application running in the background.  I wasn't able to scroll with the wheel or select text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines