Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom text field in dynamic stamp gets no input text

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello community,

for my office I wanted to create some stamps that has some variables in it. I saw a method where when you put the stamp a question for the input text comes up and you have to enter the variables. This seems fine for me. So I looked up a video: https://youtu.be/OjK5NbjOZCI

Here the guy shows how this is done with some code working (new to me). He refers to another tutorial in the web in his description,

My problem is that I can follow the whole video and do what he does but when it comes to using the stamp and the input textfield, my entered text does not show up. As if it is invisible.

I once had similar problem. Some years ago I wanted to add some text in a document and tried it with the tool "edit document" and "add text" (translating here from my language, it my be different). There was also the problem. I saw the cursor moving but the letters were invisible (and not colored white). I had to use the comment tool where there is also a function to add text.

Can someone help me?

Adobe Acrobat DC Pro 2020 and Win 10.

Chris

This is a tutorial that shows you how to create your own dynamic stamp on Adobe Acrobat DC. In this video, I will show you how to use Javascript to display the date on which the stamp is placed and respond to user input to print a name. Additional links for help: ...
TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Thank you both for your help. I located the problem. The above mentioned video told to use this code

var cAsk = "Enter One of: Approved, Rejected, or In Process";
var cTitle = "Document State For Stamp";

if(event.source.forReal &&
   (event.source.stampName == "PLACEHOLDER"))
{
   event.value = app.response(cAsk, cTitle);
}

when I actually was supposed to use

(

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You doesn't set the value of the fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. How and where do I set the value of these fields? Do you mean the category "Validation" in the attributes of the text field (again, I am translating here from my German surface, I do not know how the buttons are named in English versions)? If so, what do I need to enter in there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/All_About_PDF_Stamps.cfm

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're stamp script gets data from the user, but does not put the data into the form fields. 

See this:

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/All_About_PDF_Stamps.cfm

And this article:

https://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/dynamic_stamp_secrets/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. The first link unfortunately does not help. It redirects to a members area which fee I am hesitating to pay for obvious reasons.

The second link is the one that is also mentioned in my above mentioned video. The video executes this tutorial in a way that non-professional users like me understand. The tutorial itself does not indicate my problem.

"You're stamp script gets data from the user, but does not put the data into the form fields." - How can I fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the sample file of the second link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, dynamic stamps are basically forms. You put data into a field on a stamp the same way you put data into a form field using a calculation script. This is clearly pointed out in the tutorial, the articles and the sample.

for exmaple:

event.value = "Hello"; 

This calculation script places the text "Hello" into the field that contains the calculation.  

BTW: you would be well served to get a membership. It's cheap and provides a world of stamp samples and  tutorials, as well as much more.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you both for your help. I located the problem. The above mentioned video told to use this code

{
   event.value = app.response(cAsk, cTitle);
}

when I actually was supposed to use

{
   var cMsg = app.response(cAsk, cTitle);
   cMsg += " : " + util.printd("mm/dd/yyyy", new Date());
   event.value = cMsg;
   event.source.source.info.DocumentState = cMsg;
}

like in the tutorial which author I now realise being member of this discussion and which both of you probably meant when saying that I doesn't set the value of the fields. Since I didn't need the display of the date I deleted that line and it worked fine for me.

The membership costs 149$ a year. Since I do not need anything deeper in pdf scripting than this dynamic stamp it would have been a bad purchase. I would have studied several things to even get close to my problem and in order to understand the issue I am having. And after that the learned things would have been useless in my regular office work. I'd rather pay someone 50$ to fix my stamp issue and then the case is closed.

Thank you for your time and help.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines