• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Default Save Location in DC

Engaged ,
May 18, 2015 May 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like the new DC interface, but whoever came up with the save file dialog box and whoever approved it need to be taken to the woodshed.  I understand you're trying to promote the cloud but making your customers work harder for your convenience isn't a business model.  Please provide a way to change the default save location.  Please don't be lazy and tell me to put a shortcut in the My Documents folder.  An hour or so of programming on your part would save your customers countless extra clicks.  You're a good company.  A great company would think of their customers first.  Be great!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , May 25, 2015 May 25, 2015

Hi rickhino,

There is a preference in the Preferences dialog box of Acrobat/Reader that brings back your default Save dialog box. Press [Ctrl/Cmd]+K, Select "General" on the left rail. On the right you'll see a checkbox saying "Show online storage while saving files". Check that off. You'll get your default Save dialog box. Is that what you wanted? Or there is something else too?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

This fixed my problem. I've been annoyed with this for ages, and finally decided to search the internet for a solution. Your works perfectly, and now my work flow is no longer annoying and terrible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2015 Nov 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi vq,

The path where you are trying to save the PDF file is restricted system folder path and therefore we do not add it to the recent folder list.The length of the path is not associated with this problem. If we have path length greater than 94 even then the path will be visible in the recent folders list provided it's not a system folder.

And just out of curiosity, could you please help me in understanding your use case as to why you have to save your PDF file in a system folder? Any information will be helpful.

Regards,

Sandeep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi sangrover,

This path is the default location Zotero (a popular research tool) saves PDFs and other files related to its library to. I'm using the stand-alone version, but have a high level of confidence that the browser version stores them in the same place. And also I don't think I have changed any defaults in Zotero. After highlighting text or adding comments, I usually wish to save the PDF and if it's the first time I do it (for this document in this Adobe Reader session) and the new save dialog is enabled, I have to select the full path manually.

And even if the recent folders feature worked with AppData, the extra click problem of the new dialog would remain for my use case. So, now I have disabled it, thanks to the accepted answer. And this is the 3rd tweak I will have to apply to Adobe Reader after every installation (it is irrelevant here, but if you are curious, the first 2 were: the annoying "Make Hand tool read articles" option that is on by default and some fix to signature field detection, don't quite remember what it was for).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To streamline that, I'd either put a shortcut in the default location, or have that long directory name ready to paste into the save dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this has been resolved yet but I'm having a similar issue.

One of our specialized programs uses temporary folders for editing of documents saved to it. When opening a pdf to edit from this program, doing redaction or optimizing requires a 'Save As'. The problem is when this happens is that it defaults to the last folder you saved something in, NOT the folder the file came from. The folder in we want to save to can vary to a degree with our system and likely isn't just something we can shortcut to easily. Keep in mind that this has to work for End Users that might not be as able (or willing) to go through a whole bunch of folders trying to locate the correct one after they edit their PDFs. If it's possible to turn off requiring the 'Save As' function that might work too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been almost SEVEN YEARS (since the 2015 update), and this problem still exists!

A good reason to use the compatible products of smaller companies.

As  aricm8384552: "The problem is when this happens is that it defaults to the last folder you saved something in, NOT the folder the file came from. The folder in we want to save to can vary to a degree with our system and likely isn't just something we can shortcut to easily."

It's crazy that I am being swamped & have to take additional; time out of my day & become even more swamped to deal with an issue that I can't recall having seen in any other document processing software since Win 3.1, if even then. My recollection is that Acrobat 6 & 7 saved to the source file directory, also.

This is proof that corporate software engineering is not anything like the art it used to be, driven by competition. It's now just a method to entrench users via product ubiquity, rather than maintaining the quality that created market share in the first place.

You make or break your business one user at a time, hence the fact that other options are a primary discussion whenever software applications are discussed within group meetings.

This is an absolutely ridiculous flaw, and to Adobe’s shame that it should still exist for this many years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could not agree more its a real piss off that it default saves to last
location, not the location your working in...

Blake Sutherland
President / Licensed Petroleum Installer / Power Engineer
Sutherland Excavating Ltd.
Sutherland Environmental and Petroleum
EMAIL - blake@sutherlandenv.com
506 622 5437 Office, 506 627 9690 Cell

www.sutherlandexcavating.com

Sutherland Excavating Ltd has trained Oil Spill Responders available 24/7
to respond to Petroleum Oil Spills on land and on water. Call 506 627 9690
for assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not choose a default folder. As such, it has been answered, even if we don't much care for the answer.

Personally, I'd put back the "show online" option and use the Recent Folder list, which is much quicker than navigating each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said NOT To uncheck that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too had this problem but it was when saving files I had opened and edited from emails (this probably applies to others). Adobe Pro DC was saving the files to the C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INETCache\Content.Outlook\xxxxx folder (which you cannot see unless you search for "INET" from within that Windows folder). So the shortcut didn't work (and never will work). However, out of curiosity, I TICKED the "Show online storage" option in settings and now when I save a file I am offered a real save interface and this includes folders I have recently used (namely, in my case, my OneDrive folders).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear my advice works. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The online storage option works fine if you are using OneDrive or Dropbox as you can choose them as defaults. For those of us using googledrive we can not choose a default folder and everytime I save I have to do an extra 2 clicks of the mouse to get to my client folders within Drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is almost five years old and every time I update Adobe programs I have to reset this preference.  What an annoyance.  You obviously don't care enough about your customers to play nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to save in a certain location in DC in Windows 10,  do the following:

Go to the magnifying glass (Search) and type printers.

Open up the printers and scanners folder.

Click on the Adobe PDF and choose Manage.

Choose Printer Preferences

Once open Modify the Adobe PDF Output Folder by hitting browse and saving where you want to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The registry value that controls this function is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\2017\AVGeneral\bToggleCustomOpenExperience

(Obviously replace the version with the version you are using)

Change the DWORD from 0 to 1

This can be used to push this fix out to multiple machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The registry value that controls this function is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat\2017\AVGeneral\bToggleCustomOpenExperience

(Obviously replace the version with the version you are using)

Change the DWORD from 0 to 1

This can be used to push this fix out to multiple machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks www,

Do you happen to know how to fix the default for Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S?  I still use it all the time and it NEVER remembers my last save location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I unchecked the box for "Show online storage when saving files", that is when this problem w/ not opening to the last folder saved to when I "save as". The reason I had to uncheck this box to begin with was due to the pop up save box not showing anything & was unable to save any Adobe/PDF files at all. I am able to save them now, however, I am constantly having to go searching for the folder I need to save my pdf's to. As I am constantly doing this as part of my job (sometimes 100's a day) this is VERY inconvenient & slows down my work progress. This needs to be changed back to how it was before the last update. There has to be a way to get this fixed. I can't even find this folder when I need to attach a file. It took me 15+mins to track it down. I do NOT have that kind of time & it also seems that everyones files are going into this folder, so I do not know what is mine or someone elses. I can't delete anything because it may not be my file. This is bad...very bad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is I use Word and then create PDF from Word and instead of saving to the same location as the word doc, it always defaults to the last location used, then when I go to find the PDF its not in the same location as the WORD doc

How do I cange default save location so it will be the same as the WORD source doc ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's obviously a design issue if I was confounded enough about it to find my way here, on this unchanged attribute 6 years later.  Why cant you default away from that box being checked?  This would be pretty much in line with the rest of the universe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you looking to file mainly to folder X, but every time you click save Adobe opens a folder somewhere out there in a land far, far, away?

Try going to Edit>Preferences>Security(Enhanced)>Add File/Folder Path>Insert your preferred location.

Does this work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open/save hundreds of pdf files every week and until yesterday when I clicked "save as" it would point back to the last location I saved a file (it's been this way for years now).  Then all of a sudden when I go to save my pdf it is set to save in a Temp folder and I have to navigate back to where I want them stored.  I have done what you stated above, add folder path (didn't work).  I have unchecked "automatically save document changes to temp file every xxx minutes" (didn't work).  I got a call from a co-worked today around noon stating she is now having the same issue (earlier today it wasn't doing that). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is extremely irritating.  When something works well and your customer base is used to it, it is not an improvement to add MORE clicks and browsing to what used to be a simple process that is the same across all Windows apps.  This decision is not an improvement for your customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to save to a folder "in a land far, far away" virtually every time I save a file.  NEVER to my personal Documents folder.  This is how businesses with many employees on a LAN work.  There should be an option to continue using WHAT EVERY OTHER PROGRAM ON THE MS PLATFORM DOES.  You (Adobe) do not need to go down this path, and it is counterproductive and time consuming for those of us in this type of environment.

Please do better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, so just turn off the "save to online storage" and "show online storage" options and problem solved, at least it goes back to the location the current file is saved in.

Got it.  It's still annoying I have to change the default preferences to get here though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answer by MohitBansal was spot on - Thanks for this as it was really iritating that I had to click off of this everytime I did a Save As which was 30 to 40 times per day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines