• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete Strikethrough

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am editing a PDF in Adobe Acrobat and I keep getting the strikethrough. I used to be able to just delete the word and backspace. How do I disable this? Thank you!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Thank you Gary! I will google how to change the mode. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to use the Edit Text tool to be able to do that, but it's generally a bad idea to edit the static contents of a PDF file directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Raven,

Just to clarify, is the text you are working to edit already have a strikethrough OR, as you edit, you are creating a strikethrough?

Thanks for any clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I edit, I get a strikethrough. Its my document. Maybe I have a protection on it? I dont know but I just want to delete. How can I fix this? Thank you too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I encountered similar issue and am seeking help. The PDF i am trying to edit already has a strikethrough. In EDIT mode, i am able to delete the text but the strikethrough remains. Do you have any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Raven,

I have to admit, I'm completely confused. I know of no way to do strikethrough while editing. 

Can you please verify which tool you're in? I've marked the icons for Editing and Commenting (you CAN take words that are in a document and strikethrough them. But not generate new text with strikethroughs).

2022-04-14_13-57-49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you! When I hit delete in the PDF, the strikethrough
automatically shows up. I dont know why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please actually confirm whether you are using the Edit tool or Comment tool. Don't just hit delete, for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, found it. If you just select text and hit delete it adds a strikethrough. This is a comment, intended for use in proofreading. If you want to ACTUALLY delete text then use the Edit tool as has been shown. Or, for high security (secret info) use the Redact tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I edited PDF before, I just clicked delete on my keyboard and the
word would delete. Can you tell me where the edit tool is ? I’ve been using
my keyboard for delete but stroke through occurs instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read through the previous replies you already had on Delete Strikethrough - Adobe Support Community - 12880052

You will see a picture showing you the Edit tool in the right hand bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I am wondering is why did Adobe change the steps? I used to be able to simply use the delete button just as I would in Microsoft Word. I didnt have to use extra steps.  Previously, I didnt need to have any knowledge of fancy editing tools to use Acrobat. I simply hit delete on my keyboard. And where is the Redact tool? I have never heard of it before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope I dont sound rude. Just alittle frustrated lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary, I have a document I wrote awhile ago and I may have put protection on it years ago. I started to edit this document last week and when I use my keyboard and click delete or backspace, an automatic striketthrough occurs. I am just wondering how I can stop this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Raven,

IF you are in anything but the Edit mode (see my screenshot above), you WILL GET THE STRIKETHROUGH.

If you are IN THE EDIT MODE, you will delete the selected words.

Simply, you have to be in the EDIT MODE to delete words from a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Gary! I will google how to change the mode. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raven, I just pondered, and I have to ask: if you are not in Edit mode, what do you actually expect to happen if you try to delete a word?

At no time EVER could you delete a word unless you were in Edit mode, so what do you expect to happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary, I feel so embarrassed. I was opening the document and didnt have in edit mode. I forgot to click EDIT PDF ugh. Thank you for much for helping!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, gosh! I've never ever even come close to making a mistake. EVER!! 

Seriously, no problem, glad it's resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think maybe you used to use a different app. The tools in Acrobat are everything - they are what you pay for, there are dozens. Why not explode them...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Actually, better than explode them - though it's tempting sometimes - why not explore them?) This is the app you have today so you may as well learn it. Knowing what used to work isn't going to help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone just told me to put PDF in edit mode and strikethrough would go away so thats whats been wrong. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone else that comes across this like i did and is still not getting a true delete... you need to go to the tools tab (or the sidebar) and select edit PDF, and then in addition... you need to select the leftmost EDIT icon in the top "Edit PDF" menu bar that appears as well.

I was tearing my hair out trying to delete some stuff until i stumbled on that little bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I came across the same issue however my document may have had a different template, layout or design. The strike through lines were not "true" strike through, lines were placed on the document as objects behind the text so there is no amount of delete or backspacing you could do to get rid of them. My eyeballs hurt... I hope this is helpful to someone 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines