• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete text boxes containing given text on all pages?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to automatically delete all text boxes in a document that contain a specified phrase?

Basically like this online tool http://www.pdfdu.com/pdf-delete-text.aspx

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry for the trouble. As described you want to delete the text box with specified phrase on all pages.

- Have you created this PDF file or have you got it from a different user?

- Is it the comment text box, that you are trying to delete? If yes, please select all of the text boxes you want to delete in the PDF file > Right Click > Select Delete.

You may also checkout the similar discussion here https://answers.acrobatusers.com/How-delete-text-page-header-footer-q200920.aspx

Let us know if you are referring to something else.

Regards

Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thank you for your reply.

I should have clarified it is not a comment text box that I am trying to delete, just a plain old text box. 

More precisely, I would like to remove the entire textbox containing a specified word/phrase. 

I am attaching a short pdf file that illustrates this problem. I would like to delete all the text boxes saying "deleteme 2 of 17", "deleteme 3 of 17",...  i.e. the boxes are different every time, but they all contain the word "deleteme".   Blind text pdf with text to remove 

Now if use the online service linked in my original post, that will do the job. But I need to do this for longer and larger documents above the online service limit (also, surprisingly  their premium version lacks this feature, so I can't use that).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the PDF page content that phrase is a text run. Not a text box. there is go guarentee that any text on a PDF will be in the same run with any other.  How it's setup depends entirely on the application that created it and the application that it is edited in. 

But, you could say that the text is in a block of text that is separate from all the other text on the page. I do not know of any tool that will do this specifically, but you could write a custom plug-in to do this.  

However, if you want to redact the phrase "deleteme # of #", then you can create a custom redaction pattern. 

Here's an article on the topic:

https://www.alnd.uscourts.gov/sites/alnd/files/Using_Redaction_in_Adobe_Acrobat_X_White_Paper.pdf

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat's Redact tools are made for you.

Capture_14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. However that is not quite was I was asking. This tool only removes the specified word/phrase, whereas I would like to remove the entire textbox containing a specified word/phrase. 

I am attaching a short pdf file that illustrates this problem. I would like to delete all the text boxes saying "deleteme 2 of 17", "deleteme 3 of 17",...  i.e. the boxes are different every time, but they all contain the word "deleteme".   Blind text pdf with text to remove 

Now if use the online service linked in my original post, that will do the job. But I need to do this for longer and larger documents above the online service limit (also, surprisingly  their premium version lacks this feature, so I can't use that).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF files DO NOT CONTAIN TEXT BOXES. They certainly seem to, because every time you click Edit, the page shows boxes. But Acrobat makes the boxes by looking at the text on the page, and dividing it up "conveniently" into chunks for editing. So

1. The boxes may not be what you think of as the text flow

2. The boxes may change, especially after any edit (this is a constant complaint, especially if boxes are moved closer together)

3. It may change any time, especially on updates to Acrobat.

4. Other software may well make different guesses about what is a box, if it even has that concept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can create your own custom redaction patterns, but it requires knowing how to write Regular Expressions, and also knowing where to find the internal XML files that define these patterns in Acrobat. As TSN mentioned, though, there's no way to tell the application to delete a "box", simply because these boxes don't actually exist in the file, but are created ad-hoc by Acrobat each time you edit the file's static contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2022 Mar 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Wanted to see if you were able to find a solution. I have repeating text boxes in my PDF that make the accessbility feature of read out loud not fluid. Hope all is well.

Best,

Sebastian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines