Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit bookmarks zoom level

Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit multiple book marks (all book marks) in a single go.

Batch editing bookmarks

i found this on http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1651836

1) open file and display bookmarks (in Acrobat 9 in this case)

2) select all bookmarks (blue bars displayed)

3) point to any bar, right click, select 'Properties'

4) in 'Bookmark Properties' select 'Actions' then select 'Add..' (caveat: NOT EDIT or you'll wind up with all bookmarks pointing to the same page)

5) after pressing 'Add...' you'll see a 'Menu Item' pop-up, which about midway down the list has an entry for 'View>Zoom>Fit Page'. Select that and press 'OK'. Then hit 'OK' one last time and you're done.

6) check bookmarks

I found this useful after combining .pdf-s. One sidenote: if the bookmarks have sub-bookmarks they you'll have to display them all to make the change universal. Otherwise, you'll find that only those immediately visible are changed. winky smile

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice! Instead of altering the bookmark's existing action, you're adding a second action.

Not helpful, though, if you want to set your bookmarks to Inherit Zoom, as it's not an available command and, really, never could be: you're already on the page, so the zoom you'd inherit is the zoom the page is already set to.

Just found this today, though:

http://pubhelper.blogspot.com/

It only has one effect on the zoom settings of bookmarks: it sets them all to Inherit Zoom. (Haven't experimented with collapsed child bookmarks, though.)

So between your tip and Floriant Busson's plug-in, it seems we may finally have a solution to this oft-asked question!

-- Timothy J. McGowan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great tips!

Unfortunately, the page at http://pubhelper.blogspot.de/

seems to be gone

Does anyone have a copy or can reproduce what the contents were over there?

Thanks heaps,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2017 Feb 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're in luck! The Internet Archive had a cached version of the page: https://web.archive.org/web/20130703084705/http://pubhelper.blogspot.com

From there, I found that the author's original download links for the latest version (0.991) still worked (http://www.mediafire.com/?unyjspxhcnnuq4y). I wish the file source was different, but beggars can't be choosers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2018 Jun 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option: I've created an open-source tool that allows you to apply inherit zoom (and other zoom levels) to all bookmarks within a PDF document or entire directories of PDFs (enclosing subdirectories included) without selecting each item manually:

https://github.com/beatngu13/pdf-zoom-wizard/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Link is not available any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text of the link is correct and valid and can be copied and pasted in the browser (the underlying address is wrong, so do not use it directly). The app works fine, does not need installation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is really helpful to have found ways in this thread to modify the zoom properties of multiple bookmarks at the same time in long PDFs with lots of bookmarks.

As of 3-28-20, using Windows 10 and Adobe Acrobat XI Pro, I first followed Nanda1's advice above, which worked to make bookmarks whose zoom property was Actual Size behave as if that property were Fit Page. To do this, I first selected all bookmarks. I found I could only select bookmarks on the same level at the same time. Left-clicking on the first Level 1 bookmark, then Shift-Left-clicking on the last Level 1 bookmark selected all Level 1 bookmarks. The same trick did not work for all Level 2 bookmarks. Shift-Left-click worked for Level 2 bookmarks under the same Level 1 bookmark, but I had to individually Ctrl-Left-click Level 2 bookmarks under other Level 1 bookmarks to add them to the selection. Then I went to Bookmark Properties / Actions tab / Add an Action / Execute a menu item / View>Zoom>Zoom to Page Level.

Subsequently, I found the link in the alternative solution posted 6-20-18 to be invalid, but Timothy_J_McGowan's solution works even better for me. The link in the 2-19-17 reply is still good. I was unable to download the plugin file from that page, but the link to the plugin download in the 2-19-17 reply worked. I easily installed the plugin by putting the PubHelper 0.991.api file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\plug_ins. On the PubHelper menu tab that now appears in Acrobat XI Pro / Bookmarks, I clicked To Inherit Zoom. It was not necessary to first select any bookmarks. This changed all bookmarks on all levels to Zoom level: Inherit Zoom and removed the menu item action I had previously added to all the bookmarks. Voila! Whatever zoom level I currently am using, when I click on any bookmark, it keeps that zoom level.

Wishing you well, daywriter1day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many, many thanks to David_G_P and his post of June 10, 2017.  I am using Acrobat Pro DC.  I had a document with hundreds of bookmarks AND links which had defaulted to the "Fit to Width" zoom level.  The prospect of editing them one by one was daunting.  Per David_G_P's post, I downloaded the PubHelper 0.991 api from https://www.mediafire.com/file/unyjspxhcnnuq4y/PubHelper_0.991.zip/file. I installed it and edited hundreds of bookmarks AND links to "Inherit Zoom" with ONE click.  I have also installed it on Acrobat X Pro.  Fantastic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know where I would add the plugin for Adobe Acrobat Pro 2017?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me in Acrobat DC and solved a problem that has annoyed me for years. Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I was having the same problem with the zoom when clicking from one bookmark to another, and the PubHelper fixed that, which was amazing.

BUT, with that came a new problem, that I think might be related to the Inheret Zoom setting.

The new problem is, is that whenever using Inheret Zoom, the zoom percentage is fine, but the destination on the page (like quarter of page, or middle of page, etc) gets erased when Inheret Zoom is selected.  Regardless of where you set the bookmarked destination to be, when using Inheret Zoom, it always seems to bring you to the top of the page.

It's not the end of the world, but it is annoying, especially when dealing with the Table of Contents, and I specifically linked to say Chapter 5 which may be near the bottom of the Table of Contents page, and I set the bookmark to go there.  Or if I am bookmarking a specific table or something that is near the middle or bottom of the page, I want it to go there, and not the top of the page.

Does anyone know a way to use Inheret Zoom AND link to a specific area of the page when using bookmarks, if that is even possible?  Or what that specific thing would be called so I could use the correct terms to do a Google search for?

I am using Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro, and despite the program's age, I am constantally amazed by how much it can do.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Take Care,

-David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want to download and use one of the plug-ins or apps in the above replies (or can't because your business controls your computer and restricts them), then The Original Posted Method still works great!!! However, one "term" needs updating for the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Pro: In Step 5, "View>Zoom>Fit Page"  is now  "View>Zoom>Zoom to Page Level".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found I can't install the pubHelper plugin anymore with Acrobat Pro running off/installed from the Creative Cloud.. the local folders dont seem to match the original pubhelpers recommended install locations. 
Any suggestions-- is PubHelper no longer needed with Acrobat Pro Version 2023.006?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines