• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedded font error opening PDF

Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the attached embedded font extraction error opening PDF documents. I have Acrobat DC 2019-012-20036. This error just started yesterday, apparently coinciding with this update. All files I've tried so far were generated in MadCap Flare with fonts embedded. Files I could view prior to this update now generate this error. So do newly generated files. My colleagues with Reader can view the files without this error (but I don't know their Reader versions). The font is a company-specific font which had no issues prior to yesterday. I did the usual reboot, reinstall Acrobat and the font. No luck.

fonterror2.png

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

docguy

I had to resort to the "Fix potential font problems" process since a fix isn't coming as quickly as I need it and I have deliverables due. I had to dig around a bit to find it.

• Open the PDF file and dismiss the font error.
  • From the Tools, select Print Production.
  • From the options select Preflight.
  • In the Preflight window, select Prepress, Color and Transparency.
  • Under PDF fixups, select Fix potential font problems.
  • Click Analyze and fix.
  • Save the file.

The resulting file won't have the font error when it is opened again.

FontFix.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is indeed correct.

However, be aware that Adobe is fully aware of the issue and is working on finding the underlying cause of the problem and developing a fix that doesn't break anything else.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

docguy  wrote

… When I contacted chat support at Adobe, I was told that Acrobat doesn't support third-party fonts. I was told to purchase Typekit to solve my issues with generating PDFs. Again, not going to re-generate years worth of PDFs and distribute to customers.

Unfortunately, that “chat person” didn't know what s/ he is talking about.

(1)     The problem has absolutely nothing to do with what font you are using in Madcap software. The problem will also occur using fonts directly from Adobe. It has to do with how the Madcap software embeds the font.

(2)     Typekit is now Adobe Fonts. Per (1) above, fonts from that source will not solve the problem. And by the way, you can't buy just a subscription to Adobe Fonts. It is part of the Creative Cloud and Document Cloud offerings.

(3)     No one in their right mind is expecting you or anyone else to regenerate any PDF files. As indicated by my previous post, Acrobat Engineering is quite aware of the problem and is working on it.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's fine that they are "working on it" but what I specialize in is emergency response and crisis management documentation. The work I do is mission critical - literally. I have clients that will be unable to read their plans and documents if something goes wrong before this is fixed. To say I am livid is really not even strong enough. This is an inexcusable failure on behalf of Adobe and, if it's their bad code, by extension MadCap Software.

This forms an egregious breach in product viability. I don't want to hear "we're working on it" I want to hear WHEN it will be fixed OR how we roll back our version of Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience due to the issue. The engineering teams are aware of the issue and further investigating the root cause. We will share an update on this issue soon.

Appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The temporary fix docguy posted did work for me. I'm hoping Adobe will fix the issue, but if one can't wait, the solution above should allow one to distribute readable pdf documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are working on the fix for the font issue and require as many PDF files having font issues to test it out. Request anyone having the issue to inbox me the PDF files.

Thanks,

Vinod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would you like to be inboxed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specifically, send a private message via these forums to Vinod with a link pointing to where he may download files from. Vinod is a member of Acrobat Engineering and will forward the files to the groups working on fixing this problem as quickly and safely as possible. We need to avoid a fix that works for some files, but not others or that has even worse side effects.

Files provided to Adobe will be treated with total confidentiality.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Dov. Links have been sent to Vinod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to send you a screen shot of the chat I had so you can see the issue and help the internet chat people get the right information to help customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov Issacs - I am unable to send you messages via your contact link on your profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HelloAn additional caveat on opening your Adobe Acrobat  files with those browsers:

Yes, that seems to be possible to your case and working.

But if the files that you are able to open successfully with a we browser have complex hidden calculated fields, and that may also depend on document-level scripts to get things done, please share how are you able to that.

MS Edge, for example, destroys my forms.

This happens every and each time a user prefers to use a web browser as their all-in-one solution to work with my PDF forms instead of opening them with the Adobe Acrobat installed in their computers.

This really bothers me because what is supposed to be a simple and automated fill and sign experience for the users becomes a technical support session with endless confusion, specially when they call back saying "your PDF for is acting out all funny... can you resend another copy?"

So, would you mind sharing how are you able to retain the full functionality of your Adobe Acrobat PDF documents when your users use of a web browser to work in them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PDFs are all static text. No scripts, no forms. Sorry if my solution doesn't work for you. I've only tried static content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I can confirm the problem with my MadCap PDFs, however here using Acrobat 2017 Pro (running under Windows 10 64-Bit). The problem occurs with version 2017.011.30144. On previous versions everything is fine, thus I've uninstalled Acrobat and reinstalled it with the update 30143 (lucky me, still having this one).

Vinod Dobhal already got a link from me. Hopefully, there will be enough input for him to check. Thanks for taking care (even if this is a problem not initiated by Adobe alone - as many problems in this world they are an accumulation of several incidences).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines