Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedding PDF Files (Documents) inside a Adobe Acrobat PDF

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Embedding PDF Files (Documents) inside a Adobe Acrobat PDF

I am trying to find a way to embed a PDF document into an existing Adobe Acrobat X PDF.  I know how to create links to different pages.  However, I need to embed an actual file inside the PDF in certain arias, after clicking on an image or link…  Any ideas? 

TOPICS
Create PDFs , Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Have you tried using attachments?

1. View – Show/Hide – Navigation Panes – Attachments
  2. Click the Add a new attachment icon.
  3. View – Tools – Content and select the Link icon.
  4. Select the text/image to create the link.
  5. In the Create Link dialog box, select Go to a page view and click Next.
  6. In the Attachments pane, double-click the attached file and click on Set Link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using attachments?

1. View – Show/Hide – Navigation Panes – Attachments
  2. Click the Add a new attachment icon.
  3. View – Tools – Content and select the Link icon.
  4. Select the text/image to create the link.
  5. In the Create Link dialog box, select Go to a page view and click Next.
  6. In the Attachments pane, double-click the attached file and click on Set Link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AR_1 you are AMZING!  Thank you.  My links finally work.  Thank you so much. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could able to do this, but i want reader not to know the pages, reader opens the PDF file and see only one main page and clicks the image to open the file, he should not know other files in the same PDF document

How i can hide all other pages in the PDF file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would you be able to do this, but open the link in a new window?  Currently mine is opening the link in the same window and closing out my original pdf.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open up the properties of the link, choose to edit the action and select that the link opens in a "new window".  I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2016 Aug 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to follow these directions but Acrobat's layout is different now.

I'm able to replace the existing file but once the main pdf is separated from my network/server, the link is broken. I'm not finding a way to tell it to look for the attachment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  I have attached the file to the PDF, but I can't get the hyperlink within the document to point to it.  I can only get it to point at the document locate on my local machine.

The steps provided above don't follow the most current Acrobat Pro interface....

Any updates on how to solve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Link tool of Acrobat Pro DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bernd,

I tried the link button.  I am prompted with this:

After I choose the option "open a file", it allows me to select from my CPU.  However, every time a user clicks the link within the PDF to download the linked document, it displays this message showing that it resides on my CPU:

I think this will cause issues for other users accessing the PDF on the internet.  That is why I have 'attached' the correct file to the PDF, but I am unable to set the 'link' to point to it.

I want to make sure that other users can access the file, independent of it residing on my machine.

Any other advice? 

Thanks,

Brett

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Link Action "Go to a page view". Read the first reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem as brettc... I have no problem linking the file through the above instructions, it's just that after I send the file elsewhere, the link is not accessible. What I need is to be able to embed the attached file into the document somehow so that when I send the parent file, the child file is still viewable through the link when the user clicks it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer marked as correct for this thread solves that problem... Have you tried it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have. But I still am unable to access the child file from the emailed parent file. It seems that either the child file isn't truly attached, only linked via a file path (which ceases to work post email), or the link to the child file from the parent file isn't a link to the attachment, but rather to it's file path. I know that the correct answer does and should work in a general sense, but I just can't find the workaround. Also, I noticed that there are quite a few layout changes between the previous and current versions of Acrobat. I'm working on Acrobat DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please describe the exact steps you took to attach the file and then link

to it.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 7:29 PM, NathanSAllred <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright,

I opened the file in Adobe Acrobat DC.

I clicked Edit PDF.

View - Show/Hide - Navigation Panes - Attachments.

Add a new attachment.

I selected the child file.

I clicked the Link dropdown menu - Add/Edit Web or Document Link.

I double clicked the text/image I wanted linked.

I selected the Actions tab.

From the Select Action: dropdown menu, I selected Go to a page view.

I clicked Add.

I double clicked the attachment in the attachment pane.

I clicked Set Link.

I clicked Ok.

I saved the file, sent it to myself to test on this and other computers in the email application, in Acrobat DC, and in other apps. The link only worked if I opened it again in Acrobat DC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all PDF viewers can handle this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar issue but not quite the same however it may well be that the people experiencing the issues are actually using a different version of Adobe or maybe a different PDF viewer altogether - can you advise, if you know, what versions of adobe (or up to what versions) will work with this feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You answered your own question. It's a bug in the other applications you're using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble with step 6:

• In the Attachments pane, double-click the attached file and click on Set Link.

When I double click the attached file in the attachments file, all it does it open the actual file. Then when I click 'set link', the link sets to the page view that I am currently on (i.e. it sets the link to open the current page, rather than the file). What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you test the link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I test the link by saving and closing the PDF and then reopening it in Adobe Reader.

In the properties for the link it looks like this:

screenshot.jpg

I guess my problem that in step 6 "In the Attachments pane, double-click the attached file and click on Set Link." - double clicking on the link just opens the attachment and doesn't seem to connect to the link I am trying to set. I don't understand how double-clicking on the attachment in the attachment pane can do anything other than just open the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the problem, then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

melaniep44834403  wrote

When I double click the attached file in the attachments file, all it does it open the actual file.

Looks like that you can't open the attached file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh! these instructions are wrong!

I tried and it failed to link, what did work if you go to:

Tools-> COMMENT-> attach file ( you can choose from 4 icons only) but it does embed the file in you pdf

Click anywhere on the page where you want the file and the icon you selected will be the thing you will be double clicking to open the embedded document.

Hope that helps!

fyi: I am using Adobe Acrobat DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines