• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Emoji in Adobe PDF

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, why regular color emoji (copied from emojipedia.org or any other source) turn black and white when the document is saved a pdf?    How can I fix this? I did some googling earlier and other people are having the same problem. For example here.​ I think the helping person misunderstood the question    

I'm trying to transform a MS Word file to a pdf.

The copied emoji shows in MS Word as its own font type ''Segoe Ul Emoji''

I have no idea what version my pdf reader or word is.

I'm not going to save a picture of the wanted emoji and paste it. We all know the hassle placing images in Word is.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

The basic answer is that the emoji are done using OpenType SVG fonts. Such fonts provide font definitions both in SVG format (basically SVG vector graphics) as well as in standard CFF or TrueType format for those applications that don't support SVG format fonts.

At this point, the PDF specification, including the relatively new ISO 32000 PDF 2.0 specification does not support the SVG format in fonts. Thus, if there is text in a PDF file referencing an OpenType SVG font (whether embedded or ext

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I printed the home page of that website to the Adobe PDF printer and it came out just fine...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me too, but that website is not a MS Word file.

To those interested, I found out that opening the file on phone in MS Word app, interting the emoji there, saving it as a pdf there and then sending or transfering it to computer works. (I'm using a Windows phone.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The basic answer is that the emoji are done using OpenType SVG fonts. Such fonts provide font definitions both in SVG format (basically SVG vector graphics) as well as in standard CFF or TrueType format for those applications that don't support SVG format fonts.

At this point, the PDF specification, including the relatively new ISO 32000 PDF 2.0 specification does not support the SVG format in fonts. Thus, if there is text in a PDF file referencing an OpenType SVG font (whether embedded or external), PDF viewers (including PDF native printers) will render the glyphs in that text in a single color using the CFF or TrueType definition. That accounts for your seeing the text as “black and white.” There is way to fix that.

There are workarounds that some applications and PDF creators use. One such workaround is to rasterize or vectorize any glyphs for which the SVG definition varies from the default monochrome CFF or TrueType definition. In that case, those “characters” are represented in the PDF file as raster or vector graphics. Alternatively, the PDF creator can produce and embed a Type 3 font into the PDF for such characters. (Type 3 fonts are essentially the equivalent of an arbitrary PostScript program, allowing for almost anything including color!)

The same issues also occur with so-called color fonts in which glyphs are in multiple colors.

Some applications (including some of the Adobe CC applications do apply one or another of the above hacks when exporting/saving PDF. Others don't, including the current Acrobat PDFMakers for Office.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! 
Can you please tell the instructions how to keep Apple emojis when converting a Word file to pdf? You said that might be possible with some Adobe apps? I have them so I would be very grateful to get to know how that is possible 🙂 Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prepress option for fixing these type3 fonts (emojis)

I wrote an action in Pitstop to select all type3 fonts and flatten.

Flattening type3 fonts turns them into an image. (They print as they look on screen)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2024 Jan 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FB_IMG_1706732521867.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines