• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error while saving a .PDF File to a mapped drive

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue I am having is similar to the one found on this older post. http://forums.adobe.com/message/3066663#3066663

The issue is as follows. I have a small company about 15 users divided into a couple of departments with different networking access needs. They each have Adobe Acrobat version XI installed on a Windows 7 Platform. Each user has a set of mapped drives that correspond to their department. The Disk mappings are all directed to the main shared Network Attached Storage (NAS) device. At any time there can be a number of PDF files open and being worked in. The same PDF is usually not opened at the same time from two different locations.

The issue is that two users who do a large amount of the work, IE. Scanning documents and adding them to documents that have been previously created, are reporting the same issue. The issue is when they have the PDF document opened and they are adding new content. Once the new content is added they go to save the document and then receive the following error:

The document could not be saved. Cannot save to this filename. Please save the document with a different name or in a different folder.”

In order to save the file the user has to use the save as function and then browse to the original file location to save the document with the changes that have been made.

Along with the above error we have noticed that Adobe Acrobat is renaming the file that has been changed to aae##### or aak##### or aan#####. The file name is changed causing the normal save function to not work correctly.

Is there a reason Acrobat would be doing this?

I am not using Microsoft SharePoint.

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 07, 2015 Jan 07, 2015

My users started to experience this issue for files on network shares as well once Adobe Reader was updated to 11.0.10

It has to do with Protected Mode being turned on.  I don't know if it was off by default & now it is on with the update but turning it off changes Adobe Reader's behavior back to what the users expect - a prompt warning you if you want to overwrite the existing file & then selecting Yes to overwrite.

To disable Protected Mode:

Start Adobe Reader

Edit - Preferences - Security (Enhanc

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2016 Oct 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None* of the solutions offered here actually helped me; but something I noticed in another thread mentioned that closing the thumbnail pane allowed them to save.  Although that still didn't solve my problem, I suddenly realized that I'd opened the orignal file through my Windows Explorer...

Yep.  You guessed it; I couldn't overwrite the file with my edits because the file was still "selected" in Windows Explorer.  I de-selected the file, and the save worked! 

*It's possible that a combination of these actually solved my problem; but right now it's working and I'm not about to change anything else. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also try close preview window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also try close Preview window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We are having the same exact problem at work. I believe Adobe has a bug in there software for this reason. Old Adobe software works perfect with map drives has employees at my work are good and have no issues with others that are having it. It's due to updating the software to the new version.

How we resolved this was downloading Cute PDF Writer. Launched  the software and we had no issues or complaints with our employees. I believe Adobe is on this and trying to resolve this bug in there software.

Best regards,

mvfd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines