• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Excel print to PDF - shaded cells not printing

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I have an excel workbook with shaded cells and when I print to pdf they do not show. I have explored all the forums and none of the solutions work. I have tried Page Layout > Page Setup > Sheet > unchecked 'Black and White' and it doesn't work.

See example of the excel spreadsheet, and the resulting pdf. The font colours do print to pdf, it's just shaded cells.

This happens whether I do File > Print > Adobe PDF OR File > Save as Adobe PDF.

Example - excel.png

Example - PDF.png

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you confirm the Operating System you are using and the version of Excel / Acrobat you have?

I 'printed' to pdf a couple of documents I have and it worked fine. Does the print preview show the colours?

Can you include screen shots to show the printing steps you are taking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Operating System: Windows 10

Microsoft Excel for Office 365

Adobe Acrobat XI

Yes the print preview shows the colours, see attached screen shots. I get the same result when doing File > Save as Adobe PDF.

Note on this example some of the shaded colours print while others do not.

Step 1: Excel file showing coloured cells

Step 1.png

Step 2: File > Print > Save as PDF (Print preview shows coloured cells)

Step 2.png

Step 3: PDF does not show all shaded cells

Step 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is so weird, does this happen to the same colour, if you change them around. Check

the Acrobat tab > Acrobat settings in Excel to see if any cell formatting is set to be 'ignored'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric

I've checked there is no conditional cell formatting.

I've changed around the order of the colours and redone the process, see screen shots below.

Step 1.png

Step 2.png

Step 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that it is the same colours in both attempts that are ignored.

I am not sure as why some colours would not print and others do.

Do you have to keep these colours? can you use others?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eric

I don't necessarily have to keep these colours, I could use others, but it's inconvenient. I used the excel spreadsheet as an example, but I'm actually doing reports where I use the cell colours 'Good' (green) and 'Bad' (red), to demonstrate conformance vs non-conformance. It's easy to use these colours as they are defined by Excel as good and bad and can be quickly selected, see screenshot below. Neither of these 2 colours are printing to pdf.

Any other ideas on how to fix this issue?

Thanks

example 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fels40034908  wrote

It's easy to use these colours as they are defined by Excel as good and bad and can be quickly selected, see screenshot below. Neither of these 2 colours are printing to pdf.

Hi Fels,

Good and Bad and Neutral and Comma and Currency and all the rest of those are Styles and all can be modified.

• Right-click Bad > Modify
  • Click Format in the bottom left
  • Go to the Fill tab and choose a different background color. I would stick with the top row, as those are the "Theme" colors. Note that pink is not one of the swatches and that may have something to do with it being non-printing.
    Uncheck Font if you don't want it to switch to that typeface and size.

• Repeat for the other styles, plus create new styles (expand the panel)
  • Note that this will be for the current document only. To change the styles for all new Excel documents, you need to create a template and it needs to be called Book and it needs to be in the folder called xlstart. See Microsoft Help for details.
    Save cell styles to use in all new workbooks - Excel

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane

Thank you for the detailed instructions, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2019 Mar 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fels40034908  wrote

I used the excel spreadsheet as an example, but I'm actually doing reports where I use the cell colours 'Good' (green) and 'Bad' (red), to demonstrate conformance vs non-conformance.  Neither of these 2 colours are printing to pdf.

I made a PDF from Excel using the styles called Good and Bad and it worked for me. I wonder if others can try it to test?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

What happens when you choose the Acrobat tab from the Ribbon and use PDFMaker to create the PDF from there?

Jane

50FEA083-29D3-4AF1-9FC6-1D7D32B46958.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane

When I choose the Acrobat tab and use PDFmaker to create the PDF I get the exact same result as using the other method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does the PDF look in Adobe Reader?

Do you have your Acrobat page display preference- Use overprint preview setting set to Always?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luke

My Acrobat page display preference - 'Use overprint preview setting' was NOT set to Always. It was set to 'Only PDF/X-5 compliant ones.' I have now changed it to Always, however I still get the same results when converting to pdf, it hasn't solved the issue.

In regards to Adobe Reader, I asked a colleague, who only has Adobe Reader, to open the pdf on their computer and it displays as it should, all coloured cells show up. When I open the exact same pdf in my Adobe and they are not shaded...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working in Microsoft Powerpoint this afternoon and, interestingly, some shaded cells are not printing to pdf for me, which would suggest it's an Adobe issue not excel? Even more strange, I am using a particular shade of green and some of these green shaded cells print to pdf, and some don't, despite being the same colour. See screenshots below.

Step 1.png

Step 2.png

Step 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have a few other people view your PDF to see if it looks normal. I suspect your PDF is fine and something is wrong with your copy of Acrobat. Is it fully updated?

If others confirm the PDF is OK, I would reset your preferences and if that doesn't work, do an uninstall and re-install.

How to reset Preference settings in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different PDF programs, different results, different settings.

Here's what I've found, which I think will provide a clue,
so you can figure out what's going on with what you have.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Excel 2010, Version: 14.0.7237.5000 (32-bit)
Page Layout / Themes / Office
Fill Color / The very top right, the first, lightest Peach

Printer: hp LaserJet 1320 PCL 5

PDF Software: Foxit Phantom Business, Version: 8.3.10.42705

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Example 1

When I {print directly from Excel to the printer}, this fill color is good to highlight things.
It's not too light - and not too dark, which saves toner

Example 2

Ctrl+1 / Format Cells / Border / The very top left, the 2nd border down

I have one column in a Worksheet with this border, that goes down all 5 pages

Problem:
1.) When I {print directly from Excel to the printer}, my Cell Borders don't print.
2.) When I print from Foxit (explained next), the Fill Color becomes way too light

Here's the fix:

- - - - - - - - - -

Previously, I determined that the easiest fix to get Cell Borders, was to just print from a PDF:

File / Print / Page Setup / Page / [dot] Adjust to 99%
. . . Otherwise, it cuts off the bottom of the bottom cell, at the bottom of each page

File / Print / Page Setup / Margins / [un-check both] Center on page, horizontally / vertically
. . . How does this setting affect Cell Borders? No idea, but at some point, I noticed that it did.

File / Print / Print to Microsoft Print to PDF
. . . You will now be able to see your Cell Borders, printing from the PDF

- - - - - - - - - -

But, why don't I see my Fill Color now?

Foxit Phantom / File / Print / [un-check] Auto-Center
. . . It didn't look good centered

Foxit Phantom / File / Print / [un-check] Print as image . . . [I think this is the fix]
. . . I previously had this checked, to prevent garbage characters from being printed

. . . Toggle it as necessary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, different PDF making software programs will create different results. Maybe not as widely different as described above, but different nonetheless.

The open source PDF standard (ISO 32000 https://www.iso.org/standard/51502.html  and https://www.pdfa.org/resource/iso-32000-1-pdf-1-7/ ) can be used by any software manufacturer.  However, as with any standard, there's room for interpretation and you'll get different results from different PDF software. And there are just plain errors and deficiencies in the programs, too.

Try various major PDF software programs to determine which will give you the results you want:

My firm tests various PDF making programs and has been involved with the development of Acrobat since the beta of Acrobat 1.0.  I'm also on the ISO standards committee for PDF.

Our recommendations today:

• For quality printing and press work, Adobe's products are far superior.
  • For accessible tagged PDF per the PDF/UA-1 standard, Adobe's products are superior (but not perfect), but some Word documents export fairly well with MS's internal PDF export (File / Save As / PDF).
  • For everything else, use whatever works for you.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents |
|    PubCom |    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, thx!  What kind of programming bug makes it so your Cell Borders don't print as expected?  I've seen that others have this question online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the exact same issue. The problem is not PDFMaker and your colors are working properly. Just open/read the pdf documetn in a browser or have someone else open the file. The problem I discovered was the Adobe Pro XI "reader".

Solution - Change the default reader to a browser (i.e. Chrome or Edge). <R-C> "Edit with Adobe Arcabat" to make pdf edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines