Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

excel to pdf - one page turns into multiple pages

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe

I have one page en excel, but when I save it as pdf, it splits up into 9 pages where the font now is very large and words are on top of each other.

What can the problem be?

Best regards

Christina

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Christina,

As per the description, you are converting a single excel page into a pdf but it results into 9 pdf pages as well as the fonts are bigger in the resultant pdf, is that correct?

If using Acrobat to convert Excel to PDF, try changing the following setting and see if that works:

1- Launch Acrobat>click Edit>Preferences>Convert to PDF

2- Click Microsoft Office Excel>click Edit Settings

3- Check the box next to "Convert entire Excel workbook"

4- Click OK and try again.

Also, try converting another excel file into pdf and see if this behavior continues.

Are you converting excel into pdf using Adobe Acrobat's Create PDF option or using File>"Save As" or "Save as Adobe PDF" option in Excel?

Awaiting your response.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is dated information and didn't work.

Excel now has a specific convert to Adobe option, however the issue still persists three years later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue.  I am opening up an excisting pdf file using Acrobat Pro DC  and adding an excel file by dragging file into the pdf thumbnail section.  It totally changes layout of the excel file from landscape to portrait.  If I do this using my older computer that has an older version of excel it does not change the layout, but if I use my new computer that has a the newest version of excel it changes the layout....so thinking int might be an excel/microsoft issue?  Maybe a setting in excel? Both computers have the same version of  Acrobat Pro DC.  Really need to get this figured out as I use this function a lot for work!!!

Thank you,

Virginia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue and tried the trouble shoot you suggest. However when I go into settings in Adobe Acrobat and click on Microsoft Excel files, in the window on the right it says, "There are no settings that can be edited in Microsoft Excel Files."  And the "Edit" box is deactivated.  I'm signed in and everything. I'm very frustrated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Excel, go to File> Save as> PDF> Workbook. If this is cropping the Excel sheet into multiple PDF pages, select all cells on the first sheet and go to File> Print area> Set print area, this should give you a PDF of the entire sheet. (I use a Mac).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luke,
I had already done that.  I had set the print area so that it was only one page. I had dragged all my page breaks out to capture everything into a one-page document.  I was clearly stretching the limits of the page breaks to get it on one page but I did it. It seems manually setting page breaks and  "Set Print Area" is still going to be over-ridden with Adobe PDF wanting to capture it differently.  As soon as I "Save as PDF", all the page breaks are back.

I tried everything I could think of. The only way I was able to get it all on one page was to change my background color to white in Excel so grid lines wouldn't show up, and then do selected screen captures, and then paste them into a Word document.   That's clearly not a solution, it was merely an end-around. This is clearly a glitch with Adobe.  Adobe needs to make manual page breaks and set print area as a priority when converting to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to file>print, you can save as a pdf instead of printing the doc. This will give you a pdf of everything inside your page breaks. I was having this issue and this is the only viable workaround I came up with.

With previous versions of excel it was super easy to just save your spreadsheet as a pdf, but it seems with newer versions the save as pdf feature is reverting page breaks causing the pdf to cut content that shouldbe viewable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I use a MAC, I want to inform MAC EXCEL users that they can choose to print using MAC commands on

File (this is next to the Top Left Corner Apple Logo) -> Print -> PDF (bottom left)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resurrecting an old thread because this was driving me mad and the search led me here.

In Excel go to Page Setup, in the Page tab select Fit to: 1 by 1

Job done!

Hopefully this will help other lost souls like me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This was the last thing I tried, including changing page orientation and page (paper) size in Excel, and it worked like a charm. Problem solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you DustyPaws! Very frustrating until I found your post.  Thanks for resurrecting the old thread otherwise might still searching for the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thanks so much - I've been so frustrated with this and now you have solved it for me! (no idea what made you try that, but thank goodness you did!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you DustyPaws! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks bro. I have been looking for this precise & accurate answer since past few hours. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works! God bless you dear soul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sir, are a genius! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although the respons is appreciated and this does work, its an extra step that shouldn't exist.  When you do 100 of these a day its ridiculous.  Also what about multiple pages, its even more steps.

Adobe is the problem.  Spending time so your excel file fits and then have Adobe muck it up is frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, you solved a problem i've been trying to fix for days 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallelujah!  Thank you so much.  This was driving me absolutely crazy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I needed now. Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion! This setting to fit 1 by 1 should have been configured by default for Mac Excel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion.  It worked perfectly on all sheets apart from those with multiple pages.  Those (excel) pages have all been squeezed onto one (PDF) page, like a long line of my excel pages down the centre on one PDF page.  Any idead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using Windows, in EXCEL go to VIEW -> Page Break Preview.
What you're viewing is the full screen for working on the screen hence all the page breaks are not shown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you have the pagination correct, the most direct way to print would be :

1. Open excel sheet

2. (next to Apple logo) -> File -> Print -> PDF (bottom left corner)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines