• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extract PDF Pages Based on Content

New Here ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every fall and winter I have to work with PDF files that are hundreds of pages. Last fall I came across a java script that I was able to run and it worked beautifully. In the last year, I have either lost more brain cells or acrobat dc doesn't work the same way as acrobat X. I need to find a way to extract the pages based off of a word search and save those pages to another file. I would appreciate any suggestions. Also, I have added the java script that was used last year. Thanks in advance for your help.

// Iterates over all pages and find a given string and extracts all

// pages on which that string is found to a new file.

var pageArray = [];

var stringToSearchFor = "Total";

for (var p = 0; p < this.numPages; p++) {

// iterate over all words

for (var n = 0; n < this.getPageNumWords(p); n++) {

if (this.getPageNthWord(p, n) == stringToSearchFor) {

pageArray.push(p);

break;

}

}

}

if (pageArray.length > 0) {

// extract all pages that contain the string into a new document

var d = app.newDoc(); // this will add a blank page - we need to remove that once we are done

for (var n = 0; n < pageArray.length; n++) {

d.insertPages( {

nPage: d.numPages-1,

cPath: this.path,

nStart: pageArray,

nEnd: pageArray,

} );

}

// remove the first page

d.deletePages(0);

}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

I assume you were running the script as an Action in Acrobat XI (as described in my blog post). You can do the same thing in Acrobat DC. Just download the SEQU file again (from here: Extract PDF Pages Based on Content - KHKonsulting LLC) - then make sure that the filename is ExtractPagesWithString.sequ (when I download the file using Safari on a Mac, it appends .xml at the end - in that case, just rename the file so that it has the .sequ extension again). Now you should be able to drag&drop the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to extract each page as a separate file, or to put them all into a single file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like them in the same file if possible!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's even trickier... You would need to create a dummy file with a blank page and then insert the matching pages into it, and then delete the dummy page at the end of the process.

I've developed very similar tools for some of my clients so if you're interested in hiring someone to do it for you (for a fee), feel free to contact me privately (try6767 at gmail.com) and we could discuss it in more detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As was explained by try67, this is not a simple task. If it would be acceptable to extract individual pages, and you would then merge them manually, it would reduce the complexity a bit. However, given that my action from above already inserts multiple pages (and takes care of deleting the blank first page), it would are possible to modify that code. Take a look at the screenshot with the code above, you will find these lines it it:

2018-10-18_15-41-20.png

These two lines indicate which page will be inserted into the document. A very simple solution would be to adjust this statement and just add the following page as well. This has however a few potential problems: If the document does not contain a page following the page on which you found the term, the script will fail. If both the current page and the following page contain the term, you will end up with the second page being duplicated in your output file. These problems can be addressed, but it complicates the code a bit.

For now, I'll just show you what you would need to modify in the red box above:

nStart: pageArray,

nEnd: pageArray+1,

As you can see, the first line did not change,  the second one did change, and we are adding "1" to the page number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you approach the problem differently, you will save yourself a lot of heartache. Instead of extracting pages that you want, delete pages that you don't. You script would start by doing a SaveAs to a new file then you can use some of the code above to detect pages that you want to keep and deleting the pages that you don't. Work from the back to the front and you won't need to keep track of page numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joel,

I am not sure if you are referring to my problem, but this is not a solution. I need to run this script daily and the pages that are extracted are in a different location of a 500-page file every day. So deleting would be more work than a find and extract.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So deleting would be more work than a find and extract."

I assure you, that's not true. The portion of the script used to locate the pages to extract would be used instead to identify the pages to not delete. Using that method, you don't have the additional problem of assembling the extracted pages into a new file. It's a much simpler script than extracting and combining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joel,

This is why I am not the expert - lol. Is it a simple change in the script provided above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know how I can make this process run over and over with different variables without having to sit in front of the computer and waiting? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is not built for this kind of automation (on purpose). You would need to use a stand-alone tool to be able to do it like that. If you're interested I could develop for you such a tool (for a fee). You can contact me privately via [try6767 at gmail.com] to discuss it further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to get this action to work with 2 words separated by a space?  For example: "AB 123"

Were looking to extract a form with the form number printed on the page.  So far, we have been able to get this action to work but only for the "AB", and we get 8 different forms.

When we try "AB 123"  nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also we need to get the extract to save automatically to folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there a Javascript that deletes pages if they do not contain one of the multiple supplied keywords? I have a functioning version that allows page deletion for one keyword but not multiple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines