• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Extracting pages and then renaming the extracted page - Support was of no help

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When extracting a PDF page from a PDF document, i don't have any option to name the new page. It only gives me the folder name to specify. The new file then gets the same name as the original file. 

Is there a simple way to name the file when extracting? 

I saw a thread online (pre creative cloud of course) where they suggested extracting and deleting the page from the original, which then makes the new PDF open, and then saving (ctrl+s). I want to do this in one operation. 

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Disable this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Bernd is correct. Selecting that option causes the extracted page to be automatically saved with a generated name. Unselect it and you'll be able to save it with a new name.

If this is something that you do regularly, then the process can be automated with an Action, or a Script. This might save you some time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Adobe Acrobat? How does you extract the page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello thanks for answering! Adobe acrobat Pro DC on windows 10, i got the newest update. 

I use the "organize page" to access the extract functionality. Then i check one of the boxes to prevent my original document from being edited (dont delete from original). Then i press extract and the window for output file pops up, here i cannot specify file-name, only folder name. I wish to give it a new name asap to keep order of the many new files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After extracting the page use File > Save

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer. I guess i have to open each new pdf-file and rename it manually for each then. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little late to the party here but I kinda figured something else...I use an excel to find and rename batch documents...you can find it attached... ignore the error that pops up when you finish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The actions you describe do not match what should be happening in Acrobat DC. For example, there is no "Don't delete from original" option. And the new extracted page is not automatically saved, it's open in a new tab, unsaved.

Can you post a screen shot of the "Extract" toolbar options you are seeing?

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, thanks for answering, and sorry for the long reply time. I have posted a printscreen below, with a red marker at the option for creating new file (not deleting from original). The file explorer window that is open in the picture is target folder. I never get the option to save it by any name, nor do the new file open in a new tab. I manually rename them after in the target folder. 

InkedSkjermbilde_LI.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disable this option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd is correct. Selecting that option causes the extracted page to be automatically saved with a generated name. Unselect it and you'll be able to save it with a new name.

If this is something that you do regularly, then the process can be automated with an Action, or a Script. This might save you some time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Thom! Very clarifying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thom,

Thanks for the response. 

But; seriously,  is this the best, easiest, most streamlined process contemplated for capturing and renaming one or more pages from within one locally opened PDF?    Is this the very best Adobe can do with a  $17.00/ subscription charge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can be done using a script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You want a complex action, that's what the scripting model is for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2022 Apr 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Thom Parker

You mentioned a complex action, using the Scripting Model.   Might be what I need, and hoping you can advise\confirm.

I have a couple of PDF's, one with 1,220 pages, another with 539 pages.  Most of the pages are labeled to match the numbering system of the original source data that were scanned and imported into the PDF.  I would like to extract all pages into individual PDF's, and name each PDF using the page label value.   Is this possible?  Appreciate your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this can be achieved with a (not too complex) script.

If you're interested in hiring a professional to create such a script for you, feel free to contact me privately (click my username and then on Send a Message) to discuss it further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

get lost

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahahah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2024 Feb 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. Extracting and saving with a unique filename was possible up to the previous update. So, I don't think it's that complex. It was easy as can be until just recently. Adobe has made it more difficult. I'm not happy about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

Have you tried the steps shared in the correct answer above, I have tried it with the latest version 23.08.20555 and its working fine and I am able to save the extracted page with a different name.

Make sure you have the recent version 23.08.20555 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess Adobe broke this with the new version of Acrobat.  Request:  Please restore the ability to rename the page upon using the Extract Page command.  This current version adds a lot of clicks to my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can specify the name when you save the extracted page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to see such an option.  The dialog box first gives me the choice of deleting the extracted page or extract the page to a seperate file.  I choose the latter and hit extract and the dialog box only gives me a destination for the extracted page.  EDIT:  Oh!  now I see that if you don't select either option and hit Extract you can rename the page.  Okay, that works.  Somewhat non-intutive, but it works.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

++ Adding to the discussion

To know more about extracting the page from the PDF, please go through the help page https://adobe.ly/41TISAK and see if that works.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines