Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files open in Microsoft Edge, not Acrobat Pro

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2022 Dec 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Background: 

I reset my computer to factory settings, reinstalled Acrobat Pro and set Acrobat Pro to open .pdf files.  The .pdf files opened in Acrobat Pro.  But after my computer restarted, they began to open in Microsoft Edge and still do.

Here is how I tried to resolve this:

1.  In Edge, I navigated to Settings > Cookies and site permissions > PDF documents and disabled "Always download PDF files" and "PDF view settings."

2.  An Adobe representative suggested that in PDF documents I "toggle the switch to On for Always open PDF files externally."  I looked for and did not see the switch.

3.  Another Adobe representative suggested that I follow the steps in a Microsoft help page to "[r]ight-click on any .PDF file; Select Open with > Choose another app; Select Adobe Reader and check " Always use this app to open .pdf files."  I right-clicked on two .pdf files and did not see "Open with."

4.  The Microsoft help page also included steps to "Press Windows key + i and go to Accounts; Click Input Options; Scroll down to the Restart apps section and check the options: Automatically save my restartable apps when I sign out and restart them after I sign in" and "Use my sign-in information to finish setting up my device after an update and restart."  In Settings in Windows 11, I navigated to Accounts > Sign-in options and enabled "Automatically save my restartable apps and restart them when I sign back in."

Assistance would be welcomed.  

Thank you!

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Dear Akanchha, Dave and Bernd:

I think I found a solution!

As indicated, I previously navigated in Edge to Settings > Cookies and site permissions > PDF documents and disabled "Always download PDF files" and "PDF view settings."  I did this because .pdf files were opening in Edge so I reversed the existing settings.

I have now enabled "Always download PDF files" and "PDF view settings" and .pdf files are opening in Acrobat Pro!

As indicated, I previously reinstalled Acrobat Pro and set Acrobat P

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @__J_K__ 

Sorry to hear about the trouble caused. We appreciate that you have tried all the possible solutions first. 

Surprised to hear why you did not find the "Open with" option when right-clicking on the .pdf file.

Would you mind sharing the screenshot of right-click menu that you see at your end?

Also, what is the exact version of Acrobat and OS installed at your end? Open Acrobat>right click>About Acrobat.

• Try uninstalling and reinstalling the Acrobat application once. 

Run this cleaner tool to remove the existing installer and application’s files traces:

https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/Labs/cleaner.html

Download the Acrobat installer from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/acrobat-dc-downloads.html

• Install the latest Windows update. 
  • If it still doesn't help, then try creating a Hidden Admin account on Windows and check if you can make the default PDF viewer as Acrobat Pro

Thanks,

Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Akanchha:

The exact version of Acrobat Pro installed on my end is Continuous Release Version 2022.003.20282 and I am running Windows 11. 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Akanchha:

As indicated, I right-clicked "on any .PDF file" in an attempt to "Select Open with > Choose another app; Select Adobe Reader and check "Always use this app to open .pdf files."  However, I did not see "Open with."

You asked for a screenshot of the right-click menu I see at my end.  However, my PrtScr key does not appear to be working and when I click in the Snipping Tool application, the right-click menu disappears.

Here is what I see when I right-click on .pdf files:

Add sticky note

Add bookmark

Edit a PDF

Add text

Add image...

Delete page

Request E-signatures...

Sign yourself

Export

Find text in document

Search more tools

Document properties...

Show navigation pane buttons

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Akanchha:

I would appreciate a response to my posts, as I have been dealing with the issue described for approximately two weeks.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would be curious to know if the Open with... option is available for other file types.  Could you right-click on another file type (mp3, txt, etc.) and see if the Open with option is there?  Your issue may be one with the operating system, not Adobe/Acrobat.

Thanks,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows Explorer select the file and use mouse right click. What does you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Dave and Bernd:

I was able to access "Open with" via File Explorer and followed the instructions above to "Select Open with > Choose another app; Select Adobe Reader and check "Always use this app to open .pdf files."  However, I did not see "Always use this app to open .pdf files."  Instead, I saw "Always," which seems to apply to just one file. 

I regularly receive .pdf files via email and wish to open them in Acrobat Pro.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Akanchha, Dave and Bernd:

I think I found a solution!

As indicated, I previously navigated in Edge to Settings > Cookies and site permissions > PDF documents and disabled "Always download PDF files" and "PDF view settings."  I did this because .pdf files were opening in Edge so I reversed the existing settings.

I have now enabled "Always download PDF files" and "PDF view settings" and .pdf files are opening in Acrobat Pro!

As indicated, I previously reinstalled Acrobat Pro and set Acrobat Pro to open .pdf files.  Yet somehow that setting was lost. 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent - Glad you solved the issue. I hope your solution sticks!

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for taking out time and sharing your findings @__J_K__ 

I apologize that I couldn't write back to you. Hoping this solution will be helpful for other community members.

~Akanchha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines