• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fillable form fields possible on different layers?

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In Acrobat I would like to create a fillable form with an image form field in the back layer, on top of that layer a layer with non-fillable elements imported from a lay-out (PDF, png, jpeg, ...) and on top of that layer fillable text fields. Is that possible or are all form fields always on the top layer?

Many thanks!!

Cin

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cin Devos,

Thank you for reaching out.

Would you mind explaining more about the form you are trying to create?

If you could share an example or screenshot of a similar PDF for a better understanding, that would be helpful.

What kind of layer you are referring to here? More information will help us to provide you the correct information. 

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Meenakshi,

Thank you for your reply. Please find a PDF attached, this one had no layers yet but it I would like the grey background (rectangle in the back) to be a fillable field where people can upload a photo. On top of the grey layer I would like the magenta shape, the magenta K, the logo and the text EXPO. The toplayer would be the white text in the magenta shape, these would also be fillable form fields.
Is that possible?
Many thanks in advance!

Cin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layers are not really layers, that's just the term used on the UI, technically they are called OCG (Optional Content Groups). Because it is a mechanism for grouping a set of page content, and yes, this can included fields.

However, fields and annotations are always drawn at the top, A field or annotation cannot be overlapped by static page content. But it can be overlapped by another field.  

watch this video. It'll explain how PDFs work. 

https://www.pdfscripting.com/public/FreeStuff/AcroForm_Concepts/Part1g_WhatsPDF_mp4.cfm

Thom Parker - Software Developer at PDFScripting
Use the Acrobat JavaScript Reference early and often

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Many thanks for your reply. I have not yet worked with layers and had the wrong idea about what it entails.

I will have to find another solution.

Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines