• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flipbook or similar for online-based PDF viewing/reading.

Participant ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I have for sometime used a Flipbook to display PDF documents online. The flipbooks look out of focus and the colors seem to be fading or washed out, unlike the original PDF file. The PDF looks much better, far sharper and the colors are just as bright as the original I created using Adobe's InDesign. The service I have used to make the conversion seems to have used Flash in the past but claims to be using HTML5 now. Despite this change I haven't noticed any significant improvement in the quality of the flipbook.

Question:

Is there an app or a way to display a PDF online so that the viewing experience is similar to that of viewing a flipbook? By similar I mean that I can set the document to be viewed as a spread with two pages displayed at a time but with both covers displayed as single pages. I would also like to have the ability to limit viewers to reading and not grant permission to copy the document. In case this makes any difference the document I have is now the single document in a subdomain so when viewers type that web address they already land on my flipbook document (and would hopefully equally land or arrive at the PDF version, if it is possible to do it).

Thank you in advance for any help you can share.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

TRY67,

First I wish to thank you for your help and for taking the time to answer my post. I am grateful and appreciate your help.

I have found new information after some research that seems to solve my problem and wanted to share it with you and all others who may stumble accross these posts of ours.

The solution I have been trying to find is right here, created by Adobe itself. It's called Adobe PDF Embed API. This solution allows you to share a PDF online, control how it's viewed, and you can ev

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. It's either a PDF or it's a "flipbook". Can't be both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello TRY67,

I understand your point and perhaps my question wasn't clear enough. The document can be and should be a PDF. However, my goal is to have it read and/or viewed with the aid of an app or some web-based technology that would allow the document to be displayed and read without the option to copy or download it. In case it can be flipped in a way similar to a flipbook, it's even better. However, this is an absolute necessity. All I want is for readers to land on the webpage and immediately have the PDF opened for them to read it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It used to be possible to do it using Flash, but that's gone now. Adobe doesn't offer any other means of converting a PDF into a flipbook.

Also, you can't control how viewers will open the PDF file. It depends on their browser settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TRY67,

First I wish to thank you for your help and for taking the time to answer my post. I am grateful and appreciate your help.

I have found new information after some research that seems to solve my problem and wanted to share it with you and all others who may stumble accross these posts of ours.

The solution I have been trying to find is right here, created by Adobe itself. It's called Adobe PDF Embed API. This solution allows you to share a PDF online, control how it's viewed, and you can even block viewers from downloading and/or printing the document.

I am working on it right now. It's not working yet but I hope to have it up and running soon. The design is clean, seems like a great way to share a PDF online with a well-designed interface and precisely what I needed.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I wasn't aware of this new option. I suspect that what it will generate will not be an actual PDF file, but if you can share a sample link I'll be happy to look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I had read somewhere that I could turn my InDesign 'books' into pdf flipbooks in Acrobat. But apparently not! I just want to share that for the past few years I've been uploading my pdf booklets to a site that presents them as beautiful flip books that cannot be copied or downloaded. They can be viewed full-screen and I can log on to see my viewing stats, upload changes, etc. The site is issuu.com. It's a 'magazine' format, suitable for me, and free to use if you're just uploading and not selling, etc. Going forward, I want to be able to embed a pdf link on my website that will take someone to the flipbooks, slideshows, etc. that I create in InDesign and LightRoom (keeping everything in CC). I'm going to take a look at 'Adobe PDF Embed API' that is suggested below. Thanks for listening ... I'm now following this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very interesting. I produce a 40 page , monthly newspaper through InDesign. I currently source my "flipbook" out to a 3rd party. I am extremly interested to see if it can be done through Adobe.

Thanks

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can someone explain why the ONLY way to publish a flipbook is by paying a monthly subscription to a flipbook hosting company?

Isn't this a= PDF to HTML5 conversion with an embedded player?

When searching for pdf to html5 or "pdf to flipbook software" EVERY wants me to pay every month for a service I might or might not use.

And the ones that offer a free version do not allow me to host the flipbook.

I already pay for webhosting, I do not want to pay someone else to host an html5 document.

What am I missing here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines