Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font spacing changed after edit in Acrobat Pro DC

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

Here's the situation..  I have an existing PDF that I'm trying to make some text updates using Acrobat Pro DC. I made a copy and did my edits on the copy. But when I edit a letter, it already changes the spacing of everything else in the text box. So even if I just highlight an "a" and replace it with the same "a" (same font/same size), the spacing is already different than the original.

Any ideas about this?

Thanks,

E

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Comments is to ask about the operation of the Forum, not a specific program]

[Moved from the Comments forum to an Acrobat forum... Mod]

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

PDF files were not meant to be edited in this way, and doing so can cause all kinds of issues, as you've seen.

The solution is to go back to the original file used to create the PDF, edit it and then create a new PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

HI!  I am late to this conversation but I did find the replies to the OP helpful.  Instead of editing the pdf as I first wanted to, I exported the document to Word, fixed the issues, and printed the page that needed the corrections to a pdf file.  I then went into the original pdf and inserted the new page, deleted the one with issues and, voila, my document was now exactly as I wanted.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDF files were not meant to be edited in this way, and doing so can cause all kinds of issues, as you've seen.

The solution is to go back to the original file used to create the PDF, edit it and then create a new PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the purpose of Adobe Acrobat Pro editor if it's not meant to edit PDF files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People are desperate to edit PDFs, even though they are utterly unsuitable for this. Always, always, the original document should be edited, even for the smallest typo, and the PDF remade.

Now, sometimes the original document was not cared for, and all backups were eaten by alligators. In such unlucky cases, Acrobat can sometimes help with simple changes. But do understand that editing in PDF isn't a normal task, it's a desperate last resort. I wish Adobe's marketing team understood this, and would stop promoting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So do we open and edit these files in Illustrator and edit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat can be used to create PDF files, add form fields, links, scripts, run OCR, perform Preflight operations, modify pages (rotate, move, edit), add and edit bookmarks and much more. It can also edit the static contents of PDF files, but it was not originally built to perform this task, as PDF files were not meant to be edited in this way, as I wrote above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

HI!  I am late to this conversation but I did find the replies to the OP helpful.  Instead of editing the pdf as I first wanted to, I exported the document to Word, fixed the issues, and printed the page that needed the corrections to a pdf file.  I then went into the original pdf and inserted the new page, deleted the one with issues and, voila, my document was now exactly as I wanted.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines