• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

For the best experience, open this PDF portfolio in Acrobat X or Adobe Reader X, or later merged PDF

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My client only has Acrobat DC installed. She merged two PDFs to create a portfolio and sees this message in File Explorer. That in itself is fine, but when she uploads the PDF to Salesforce or any other web based upload, the PDF uploads as only this error message page, and not the actual PDF. So instead of being a 5-10 page PDF, it's a one page error message. Looking for some assistance on figuring this one out. 

Thanks!

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

That isn't an error message. That is the "Cover Sheet" for the PDF Portfolio which is displayed when the Portfolio is viewed in a tool that can't interpret the Portfolio file structure. That is normal behavior.

That said, you can replace the cover sheet for individual Portfolios or replace the default cover sheet that will be used by all new Portfolios that are created.  

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 30, 2024 Aug 30, 2024

I think I figured out or at least, it worked for me. When you get that error message "Open this PDF portfolio in Acrobat X or Adobe Reader X.." at the top of the display message, you should see 3 dots (right next to the printer icon). When you click on it, you should get the following options "Open in desktop app, read aloud, save file to Adobe cloud storage, etc." Click on "Open in desktop app" and it sould automatically open it in Adobe Reader. Hopefully, that works!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please share a screenshot of the error?

And which operaring systems and adobe acrobat versions are involved here?

Than you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ErrorError

User is on a Windows 7 Pro machine running Acrobat DC on the latest version. Acrobat can open these files but a)File Explorer cannot show anything but the above error in the preview window and more importantly b) uploading these combined PDFs leads to a one page PDF with just the above image and no other content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could you please share the solution for the above mentioned issue(if you are aware of the solution, please), i have the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP I removed Adobe on my pc and didn't ever create anything I have the same issue and Adobe is dismanteled and removed - I'm rebooted and still have this problem. I can say I will not ever purchase this problem from Araobe and here I got it for free. It's a POX on the program when you can't remove the app from your personal pc. PLEASE HELP 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2024 Aug 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I figured out or at least, it worked for me. When you get that error message "Open this PDF portfolio in Acrobat X or Adobe Reader X.." at the top of the display message, you should see 3 dots (right next to the printer icon). When you click on it, you should get the following options "Open in desktop app, read aloud, save file to Adobe cloud storage, etc." Click on "Open in desktop app" and it sould automatically open it in Adobe Reader. Hopefully, that works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2024 Aug 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Ms-ToeBeans3 ,

Thank you very much for updating this old thread with your findings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That isn't an error message. That is the "Cover Sheet" for the PDF Portfolio which is displayed when the Portfolio is viewed in a tool that can't interpret the Portfolio file structure. That is normal behavior.

That said, you can replace the cover sheet for individual Portfolios or replace the default cover sheet that will be used by all new Portfolios that are created.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joel

Thank you for responding on this, i have the same issue as above. could you please share the solution if you are aware of it by any chance ! how can we open and view the file ? Thank you for your time in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In which version of Microsoft Windows are you experiencing the same issue?

Would you be able to share an example of the PDF portfolio that you're not able to open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

I am using - Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.1916]. The issue is same as above and i sharing the screen shot as shown below. Thank you.

sri220390080pvl_0-1638412236505.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the issue happens when the file is shared. I forgot to ask in which version of Adobe Acrobat Pro is this happening?

See this link https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/sharing-pdfs.html#sharing_pdfs , which illustrates how to share and how the PDF Portfolio will open up online. The shared recipients will receive an email with a link. When they click on that link the splash screen will appear to take them to the shared file online.

Is this the procedure you've followed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am thinking that maybe, your MS Windows is defaulted to open PDFs with MS Edge or another PDF viewer.

If that would be the case, you can try and make Adobe Reader DC or Adobe Acrobat the default PDF handler in Windows and see if the same issue occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Joel - It looks like it's been a few years since you last posted about this. I'm wondering if there is a better solution to this problem. I am working in Windows 10 Enterprise with a current version of Adobe Acrobat DC installed. I created a portfolio and sent it to a number of coworkers. in the same environment. They all got the same "For the best experience open this PDF portfolio in Acrobat X or Adobe Reader X, or later" message when they tried to open the portfolio file. How can I avoid this? I have attached a copy of the portfolio in case that helps.

Thanks,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to avoid it is to not create a portfolio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a pity because the only way to merge multiple signed documents without losing their signatures is to create a portfolio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can merge documents and combine them alternatively, that way it won't show as a "cover photo."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2024 Jun 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain what you mean by combining alternatively?  I need to send word and pdf documents combined so they are printed by the email receiver altogether.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2019 Nov 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very little PDF software handles portfolios. You see that File Explorer doesn't handle it, nor do the other things you are using. Adobe cannot solve this, because these other software developers are just ignoring what they should do.  If you don't have to use a Portfolio, then don't use one. If you DO have to use a Portfolio, stick ONLY to Adobe software, and remember that web services all run software, little of it made by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to save it into a Binder file. When you combine, go to OPTIONS, then click SINGLE PDF. It saves it in what is called a binder. You can attach it as a page as with any other single .pdfSnag_2d82b12.pngSnag_2d8390c.pngSnag_2d83f17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I'm lazy and didn't circle the spots to click

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks -  I dont even care that you were lazy, it worked.  It was driving me mental. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I Spent hours trying to find a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has Adobe still ignored this issue? My client has countless PDF porfolios saved in our database but when they try to open them they are presented with the "cover sheet" error message....is there still no Adobe browser extension to support PDF Portfolios? Does Adobe have any plans to support this or will our client always have to download the portfolio to their local machine and then open it with the Adobe program? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2024 Feb 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also still getting this error and this thread was opened in 2019 lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines