• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Force Reading Order Change With Javascript for Screen Reader?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2022 Dec 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having a bit of an issue with trying to prepare a document I'm creating to be accessibility-friendly. I have attached a test document to showcase the issue I'm having. Basically, I have a Yes / No Radio Button pair. When No is selected in the radio button, section A is disabled, and I would like the focus to jump to Section B so that the screen reader does not have to iterate through all of section A since it doesn't need to be filled out. I also attached an image of the reading order to showcase what I mean. When 'No' (Reading order #8 item) is selected, I'd like for it ideally to jump to reading order item #19. 

I have tried adding this JS line to the No button:

this.getField("ShouldSkip9").setFocus();

The thought is that I should be able to press down arrow key and continue reading from Reading Item #19, the 'Section B' title. But instead, it just continues on in the forced reading order and goes to Reading Item #9 instead, Section A, and continues from there to #10, 11 etc.. Is there a way with javascript or any other means I can set a conditional reading order? For reference, I'm using JAWS screen reader. I'm not sure how well JAWS interacts with reading PDF items in general. I really appreciate any help on this.

TOPICS
Create PDFs , JavaScript , PDF forms , Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?