• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Header Footer tool replaces headers and footers in PDF

Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2014 Oct 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The header/footer tool replaces the headers and footers in my PDF, this header and footer I am referring to was not added in Adobe but was added in Word 2010, when I tried to add an additional header to my PDF (I added a page number) it replaced the footers that was already in my document. The only way I could get around this is with adding a header instead of replacing, which is quick fix, but as soon as you add more pages to your PDF and want to re-apply the header/footer to update the page number that I added to the header it would remove ALL headers and footers from the PDF.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Throwaway account here. I had this same exact problem and finally found a solution that worked. I am posting my answer here in case anyone else has this same problem and stumbles across this article.

Here is my situation. The ultimate product I want is a very large pdf. This pdf will have a footer with a distribution statement and page numbers. This large pdf is compiled from individual pdf attachments. For me, I have some word documents with a header. I converted this word doc into a pdf. This

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jan 15, 2015 Jan 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I'm having the same issue. To clarify this further (I'm using the Norwegian version, so translations might be a bit off) :

When using the "Add header/footer" function in Adobe Pro XI, you have the option to either "Add new" or "Replace existing". When you add a header/footer with "Add new", it neatly adds a header/footer on top of the PDF file. However, when you update the header/footer afterwards, the top and bottom of the original document gets removed. So basically everything on the top and bottom of each page is cut away.

Please find a solution for this... Contact me for screenshots if this was not clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact version of Acrobat are you using? And yes, post screenshots. I wasn't able to reproduce this behaivour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found the root of this problem. This problem only occurs with documents converted from Word which include headers/footers. In other words, if you have a Word-document where you have added headers and footers in Word, then you convert this document to PDF with Adobe Pro. In this convertion Adobe Pro recognizes the header/footer (which was added in Word previously). Now, if you try to first add a header/footer in Adobe Pro and then remove it (or update it) afterwards, the original header/footer (which was added in Word) will get removed as well...

And here lies the problem. I dont want to tamper with the original header/footer which was made in Word, as these documents I'm working with are of sensitive matter and cannot be tampered with.

I'm not on my work PC at the moment, but can provide some screenshots when I'm back in my office.

I'm using both Word 2010 and 2007, and using Adobe XI Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use the Watermark tool instead and just make the Opacity 100% to add the information that you want as a workaround.  This way you don't change the header in the PDF file, but still get the information that you want into the document on every page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

The issue is I need to add page numbers, and the opacity tool doesn't include automatic insertion of pagenumbers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 18, 2015 Feb 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Please help with the below listed information for further assistance on this.

1) Version of Acrobat being used (Help>about Acrobat)

2) Os being used

3) Steps to reproduce the issue.

Thanks,

Vikrantt Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 19, 2015 Feb 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Adobe Acrobat Pro XI Version 11.0.10

2) Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1

3)

1. First step is to make a test document in Word with header/footer
    1. Open MS Word (I'm using MS Office Standard 2013)
    2. Create a blank document
    3. Go to "Insert"-tab and insert a header and a footer (just write something here, it doesn't matter)
    4. Save the document as docx-format
  2. Open Adobe Pro and press the "Combine documents to one PDF" (I'm not sure what this is called as I'm using the norwegian version)
  3. Add the word-document that was previously created and press "Combine". Now you will have a PDF of the file created in Word.
  4. While you are still in the newly created PDF in Adobe Pro, add a header and a footer with the "Add new"-feature (just write something). This new header and footer will be there along the header/footer made in Word.
  5. Now, try to update the header/footer with the "Update"-feature. Now, the original header/footer made in Word will disappear, and only the header/footer made in Adobe Pro will remain.

My question is; how do I prevent the original header/footer in Word from disappearing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2015 Feb 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem.  Here are the steps.  We created a series of documents in WORD 14.0.7143.5000 32 bit.  Each WORD document has a footer specific to that document (i.e. WORD documents are: Business Plan, Market Study, etc. which are each a separate WORD document, each with a separate WORD footer).  Each WORD document is converted to PDF with Adobe X.  The PDF documents are then combined into a single document with Adobe X.  Then with Adobe X we create a new footer (i.e. Document Package, with date, etc.) which is applied to each page of the Document Package.  So each page of the Document Package SHOULD have a Footer of : (1) On the Left Margin - the original WORD document (i.e. Business Plan) and (2) on the right margin - the footer inserted with Adobe X (Document Package footer).

Here is where it breaks.  The WORD footers are retained when we convert from WORD to Adobe.  The WORD footers for each document are also retained when we combine the several PDF's into a single PDF (Document Package).  It is only when we add the Adobe Footer to the Document Package that we lose all the original WORD footers.  The result is the Document Package has only that one Document Package footer (on the right margin), and we lose each of the footers which were in the original WORD documents (left footers).  I tried this two ways.  First was to modify the footer, and the second way was to add a new footer - neither works - both delete the original WORD footers.  Also, it is interesting because the original WORD footers do not show up in the ADOBE footer box (the screen where you enter the text and other information for the footer).

The use of the Watermark might be possible, and it is probably the work around we will need to use, but it is a poor solution.  Please let me know when fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2015 Jul 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a simple solution that works for us on the documents we've tried:

1. Create individual PDF file(s) as normal.
  2. Open the file(s) in Adobe.
  3. While in Adobe, print the PDF file(s) to a new PDF file(s).
  4. Assemble (combine) PDF files as usual.  Save the assembled file.
  5. Add the header/footer information to the assembled/combined PDF file in Adobe as usual and then save the file (could use a new name just to be safe).

A slight variation is to do the following:

2. Assemble (combine) PDF files as usual.  Save the assembled file.
  3. While in Adobe, print the assembled/combined PDF file to a new PDF file.
  4. Open the assembled/combined file in Adobe.
  5. Add the header/footer information to the assembled/combined PDF file in Adobe as usual and then save the file (could use a new name just to be safe).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saving as a different name after printing the assembled document to PDF worked.  It doesn't see my Word or Excel headers or footers now!!!  Thanks so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2015 Aug 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to retain bookmarks that were included, we are working on large PDFs - more than a 1000 pages - and although this seems to work it can't retain existing bookmarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2016 Aug 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lcon1's solution worked when I saved it with a new name!!!

Here's a simple solution that works for us on the documents we've tried:

2. Open the file(s) in Adobe.
  3. While in Adobe, print the PDF file(s) to a new PDF file(s).
  4. Assemble (combine) PDF files as usual.  Save the assembled file.

A slight variation is to do the following:

2. Assemble (combine) PDF files as usual.  Save the assembled file.
  3. While in Adobe, print the assembled/combined PDF file to a new PDF file.
  4. Open the assembled/combined file in Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Throwaway account here. I had this same exact problem and finally found a solution that worked. I am posting my answer here in case anyone else has this same problem and stumbles across this article.

Here is my situation. The ultimate product I want is a very large pdf. This pdf will have a footer with a distribution statement and page numbers. This large pdf is compiled from individual pdf attachments. For me, I have some word documents with a header. I converted this word doc into a pdf. This pdf was then one of the several attachments in my final pdf document. In my final pdf document, I am able to successfully add a footer to the report. However, if I wanted to edit the footer at all, it would remove every single header in the pdf attachments that were created from word documents. It didn’t affect any other header, except the headers that were present in any word documents I converted to pdf. Also, I am positive that the header margin widths were correct and should not have removed my header.

Solution -

In my word document (2013 for me), to convert it into pdf form, I had to go to File -> Save as Adobe PDF. I then click the Options box. For the checkboxes, make sure that the only checkbox is Convert document information. Then save the file.

Now when I compiled all my multiple pdfs into a single pdf document, I am able to successfully add a new footer with page numbers and a little distribution statement. And I am also able to change the footer if necessary without it affecting any of my headers.

I have found through trial and error that going to File -> Save As – And then saving it as a pdf gave me the same problem that the Op had. 

I really hope if anyone is reading this with the same problem, that I am able to save some frustration. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This absolutely works and is the best solution! Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Amal or whoever sent us the correct answer to the problem of the headers disappearing upon  repagination. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This isn't working for me; the Options box does not contain a "Convert Document" checkbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines