• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with the following error message - 'This file is a certified PDF and could not be split'

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I am having some trouble understanding what to do about the following error message - 

'This file is a certified PDF and could not be split'

I coordinate training and am required to issue training certificates to learners however, before they can be issued I must have them signed by the specific trainers. I use the 'request e-signatures' tool to do this.
When the signed certs are returned to my Adobe account, I then need to split the document into individual files i.e., cetificates.
So, I download and save the signed certs in one file to my computer - open that file in Acrobat - select the 'split PDF' tool - choose the file I want to split - use the scissor tool to split - click continue... This is when I am confronted with the 'This file is a certified PDF and could not be split' error message. 

I understand from some troubleshooting literature I have read so far that, if I were to 'uncertify' the document/files then this would remove the signature - is this correct?

And, does anyone know a way around this issue... Basically, I want to be able to split the document into its individual files with the signature still intact. 

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thank you 🙂

TOPICS
How to , PDF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 2 ways to sign a pdf.

• Option 1, I think you used, is to share the files and ask a user to digitally sign the document. This as the effect to lock the file so it cannot be changed. The idea is that the user has 'legally' approved the document, so if it was modified, it would not be the version that was signed.
  • Option 2. You can ask a user to 'stamp' their signature (do not use stamp tool for that, even if that is an option). Open the pdf > use the 'draw my signature option. This will be like importing an image of a signature but will not lock the file.
    EricDumas_0-1705515724808.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Eric 

Many thanks for your response...

Yes, after a lot of time spent trying to understand the issue, I did come across a suggestion as you have stated in your 'Option 1' description - that the document is 'locked' after being e-signed and cannot be changed so, I've deduced that by using 'Option 1' and asking users to digitally/e-sign, there is no way around splitting the file. 

Thank you for 'Option 2'... I will give this a go! 

Best wishes,
Ali 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> And, does anyone know a way around this issue... Basically, I want to be able to split the document into its individual files with the signature still intact. 

If a digital signature is used, this is not possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2024 Jan 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, 

Digitally Signed PDF is locked for any kind of change other than permitted changes. Splitting is not permitted. Hence, This file is a certified PDF and could not be split' error message shows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines