• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hi im getting a “Failed to Load PDF Document” error on all browsers.

Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When im trying to open a pdf on any browser i get the “Failed to Load PDF Document” 

this is happening with chrome, edge, and explorer. Can anyone help me solve this issue. 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

The issue is not related to Adobe Acrobat. From what I am reading, it seems like when the users are downloading such PDF's from those website, the web browsers are opening by default the PDF with their native PDF viewers.

With this method, if the file  is a secured PDF, it will not render or open at all in any of the web browser.

Since you've pointed out that it is happening with at least three different web browsers, I would assume that if Adobe Acrobat is already installed locally on each

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening when trying to open a PDF that is saved locally in your computer or when you try to access a shared folder in a networked environment, or a folder that contains such file in a cloud service(i.e. Google Drive, Microsoft Sharepoint, Microsoft OneDrive, Adobe Document Cloud)???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is coming from certain websites that carry PDF links. but its only happening on the users computer. not on mine or anyone else in the building. I tried to troubleshoot the problem through each of the browsers but it did not work on any of them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is not related to Adobe Acrobat. From what I am reading, it seems like when the users are downloading such PDF's from those website, the web browsers are opening by default the PDF with their native PDF viewers.

With this method, if the file  is a secured PDF, it will not render or open at all in any of the web browser.

Since you've pointed out that it is happening with at least three different web browsers, I would assume that if Adobe Acrobat is already installed locally on each computer, then the PDFs should open fine with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (or Adobe Acrobat Pro DC) on each of those users computers.

Just for troubleshooting purposes, If this assumption would be true, try setting up one of the web browsers to download the PDFs automatically rather than opening PDFs in a new tab.

And also set Adobe Acrobat as the default PDF handler on each computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes exactly as you described is whats happening. Yup i did set up each of the browsers to download through pdf but for some reason it never did download any of them. i kept clicking on the links but nothing i kept getting the error and the page would not load. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the test computer(s), make sure that the default PDF handler is Adobe Acrobat. 

For instance, if it is a Microsoft Windows 10 or 11 versions computer, the Microsoft Edge will be the default PDF handler. If it is,  then change to Adobe Acrobat.

Sometimes, Microsoft Windows updates may revert back to Microsoft Edge browser as the default PDF handler.

But in any case, If you already did that, then take note of the web browser's file download location; change it to another folder that may be easier for the user to remember and to find just the files that they've downloaded via web browser.

If a download location  is not manually specified in the web browser's download settings, Microsoft Windows will dedicate the user's "Download" folder by default to place everything that is downloaded in there.

And if, for example, there is too much clutter in the Download folder (i.e. executable files, update patches, shared files, email attachments, etc.) it may make  it hard for some users to find where are the recently downloaded files.

It is worth noting that most modern web browsers handle this silently, but have built-in features to notify the user when a download is complete.

In my personal case, I'd recommend to dedicate Microsoft Edge browser for the downloads, since it has a built-in feature that notifies the user of the download (visible in the upper right-hand corner of the browser).

When the download is complete, the user should be able to click the listed downloaded file and it will loaded automatically in Adobe Acrobat (provided that Adobe Acrobat is already set as the default PDF handler), or simply choose to go directly to the download destination folder and open the file from there.

If the download notification area is not accessible, you may enable it from the web browser settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that, in Mozzilla Firefox, for example,  when you go to the settings =>> Files and Applications ==>> Downloads =>> check the tick box "Always ask you where to save files". And in the next section below that: "Applications" ==>> "Portable Document Format (PDF) ==>> you click on it and a context dropdown menu will open up.

The two options of interest are:

• "Use system default application", in which case, for it to work and integrate seamlessly, you must ensure that Adobe Acrobat is already set as the default PDF handler on Microsoft Windows and not any other software.

• "Use other...", which will allow you to manually browse for the Adobe Acrobat executable in its respective Program Files folder 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey thank you so much for the help. it looks like the user browsers startared to work randomly so i dont know if it was a network issue or an update that problably fixed the issue. i dont know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2023 Apr 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

open i love pdf then go to repair pdf. Repair it and open.The issue will be resolved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines