• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can a program determine what version of Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC installed is 32-bit or 64-bit ?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can look a the title to see if (32-bit) or (64-bit) in the title from Adobe Acrobat DC or Reader DC.

I am looking for a way to allow a custom install program to determine if the installed is 32-bit or 64-bit, is there some registry or something from Adobe Acrobat set after installed to indicate this?

If the Acrobat title with 32-bit or 64-bit is stored in some registry or somewhere in the file system then the custom install program can also get and parse the title for the text string to determine 32-bit or 64-bit. 

Thank you.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that when you deploy the installer package (.msi) for Acrobat Pro or Reader DC it contains small subroutines to detect if an older or newer version is already installed in a system; if found it alerts the user.

But in your case, I am not sure if what you're trying to do is possible,.

Nevertheless, if you're trying to customize an installer package, you need the Acrobat DC Customization Wizard.

See if this reference points you in the right direction: 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat doesn't need to store its title in the registry or file system, it will be compiled in. It is possible for a program using suitable APIs to inspect the Acrobat EXE for its architecture. Alternatively, you could make assumptions from the install folder (Program files vs Program Files (X86) but check first the system is 64 bit).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I suggest you use one of the viable methods I posted, or if you do t think they can work SAY SO rather than ignore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to make this distinction?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JR, this allow our custom installer to install the 32-bit plugin for 32-bit application and 64-bit plugin for 64-bit application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mind sharing an example of how you've modified the setup.ini file for your customized installer?

See if these examples help:

This video tutorial iss very helpful on how to buil your bootstrapper:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines