• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I disable Page miniature showing on the left side for every single PDF I'm opening?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

Every single PDF that I open automatically opens the navigation pane on the left side to show page miniatures(translated from norwegian). How can I disable this so I don't have to click the 'x' on every single file that I'm opening? 

Why is this on by default? And why is it so hard to figure out how to turn this off? Other free open source PDF viewers are infinetly better on these issues. We're strongly considering just cancelling all our licenses when the free option is so much better. 

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi NorwRoadPlanner,

Thank you for reaching out.

You may try the following steps:

1. In the application, go to the View menu.

2. Go to Show/ Hide > Navigation Panes.

3. Ensure that you deselect the option "Show Navigation Pane".

4. Relaunch the application. 

Check if that helps.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only helps for that document there and then. When i re-open the software the navigation pane is back. 

But it's fine. I see from previous posts i find when googling this that it's an issue you've had for years and never responded to the users with a solution. So I found a different software that had no issues, and switching to that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not "by default", it's because these PDFs are set to open with the Pages panel showing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, it's by default. I've removed any request to show bookmarks, thumbnails etc on the application i use to create the pdf. This issue also happens on every single pdf i open on this computer. Regardless of where it came from or who made it. So it's definitely on "by default", sir.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There doesn't seem to be any place to set a default, that I can find. Let's try out the same PDF as each other

Creating a greeting card (adobe.com)

Please download this PDF and open it in Reader. Does THIS file open with thumbnails?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, also opens with the navigation pane open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Please download this PDF and open it in Reader. Does THIS file open with thumbnails?"

No, in my Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Edit > Preferences > Documents and there select the option: "Remember current state of Tools panel". 

Does the trick pretty much. 

Doesn't seems to affect files with bookmarks, so if you open a file with bookmarks that panel will still open up... So frustrating. 

This is the link of the page that helped me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2023 May 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Found a not perfect way around :

Go to Edit > Preferences > Documents and the enable "Restore last view settings when reopening documents".

At least you only need to close it once for every document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines