We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.
Opening large files became impossible because of this new and pretty useless to most accessability feature. Renaming api to api_old did the trick. Result: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\plug_ins\Accessibility.api_OLD
Nice answer, it worked!
Install paths can vary a lot on windows. Mine was
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\plug_ins
I tried Raymond's suggestion for Reader X. I tried Raymond's hint using Acrobat 10 There is only
one file with that name and the .API extension. I moved it to a new folder on the C:
\ drive. So far, no problems. I am also using Dragon Naturally Speaking v.11
I've been fighting this problem repeatedly for the last several months but it keeps coming back! Arghh!!
Previously, I solved it by creating a subfolder under plug_ins called "Accessibility DELETE" where I moved the three Accessibility plug-in files. Then, sometime after installing CS5 the problem came back again. Not right away but several weeks later, probably due to an update of Acrobat. When I looked in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\plug_ins I found another copy of Accessibility.api. So, I moved it yet again to my Accessibility DELETE folder but the problem persisted even after I made sure Magnifier wouldn't start and then rebooting.
I finally solved it this time by deleting my Accessibility DELETE subfolder entirely. Apparently, in CS5 Acrobat looks in the subfolders of plug_ins for its plugins.
This is really annoying. I wish Adobe would make it easier to turn this noise off!
have the same problem on Win 7