• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I embed all fonts/glyphs used by a form?

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2024 Jun 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

High level summary:

What I am trying to do is have a PDF that is form-filled on a linux server.

The problem I think I have (I am new to this so I may be wrong) is that not all the glyphs for a given font are being embedded in the PDF, so when I try to form-fill the PDF it fails. Specifically when I am dealing with some Unicode characters.

Here is a lot more detail:

I have tried a number of server-side technologies to do the form filling including pdftk, apache's pdfbox, etc. these technologies on stumble on the high-order characters.

I have a super simple test-file.pdf that has 2 form fields in it, both using different fonts (Helv and Times Roman)

When I run pdfbox using the attached test-file.pdf and test-file-warning.xfdf (no high order characters), I get this output which seems to imply that the font is not fully embedded. (Note: this does generate a pdf)

Jun 20, 2024 5:21:02 PM org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.PDType1Font <init>
WARNING: Using fallback font LiberationSans for base font Helvetica
WARNING: Using fallback font LiberationSans for Helvetica
Jun 20, 2024 5:21:02 PM org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDAbstractContentStream setFont
WARNING: attempting to use font 'Helvetica' that isn't embedded
WARNING: Using fallback font LiberationSans for Times-Roman
Jun 20, 2024 5:21:02 PM org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDAbstractContentStream setFont
WARNING: attempting to use font 'Times-Roman' that isn't embedded

Run like this:

java -jar pdfbox-app-3.0.2.jar import:xfdf --input test-file.pdf --output test-file-warning-filled.pdf --data test-file-warning.xfdf

And when I run the process with an xfdf file that has high order characters like this:

java -jar pdfbox-app-3.0.2.jar import:xfdf --input test-file.pdf --output test-file-crash-filled.pdf --data test-file-crash.xfdf

It totally fails:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: U+014D ('omacron') is not available in the font Times-Roman (generic: LiberationSans), encoding: StandardEncoding with differences
	at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.PDType1Font.encode(PDType1Font.java:424)
	at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.PDFont.encode(PDFont.java:337)

Which all implies to me that my PDF does not have the fonts for the forms fields fully embedded. When I look at File / Document Properties / Fonts, I do not see either of the fonts for my form fields.

Xnip2024-06-20_10-29-31.jpg

So what I think I want to do here is embed the entire font (all glyphs) for any fonts used in the form so that later when I form-fill, if there is a high-order character, the glyph is available.

Also note: I do not have the "master" copy of the PDF, my clients do. They create the PDF, then I name the form fields, etc. So I can do some light massaging of the PDF but not much.

It looks like I cannot upload my xfdf files, so here they are raw:

test-file-warning.xfdf

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xfdf xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/xfdf/" xml:space="preserve">
  <fields>
    <field name="field1">
      <value>some data
      </value>
    </field>
    <field name="field2">
      <value>Boom Technologies
      </value>
    </field>
  </fields>
</xfdf>

test-file-crash.xfdf

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xfdf xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/xfdf/" xml:space="preserve">
  <fields>
    <field name="field1">
      <value>some data
      </value>
    </field>
    <field name="field2">
      <value>Bōōm Technologies
      </value>
    </field>
  </fields>
</xfdf>

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs , PDF , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2024 Jun 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a question for the PDFBox mailing list: users@pdfbox.apache.org

In Acrobat it happens automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2024 Jun 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can/will definitely ask there.

However, I still observe that the fonts are not embedded. I think the reason that a form-fill in Reader works fine is because Reader looks up the fonts from somewhere other than the document.

Is there a way I can either (a) confirm the fonts are fully embedded and/or (b) force Reader to fully embed the fonts?

Because everything I read says the fonts are embedded, but I find no evidence that they actually are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2024 Jun 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Try67 -

I thought about this over the weekend and I remember why I asked here vs on pdfbox or pdftk sites.

It comes down to the original question, which I did not actually state well: Can I get Acrobat Reader to embed all the glyphs for a font that can be used by the form?

My diagnosis above shows that Acrobat Reader is not actually embedding the form fonts in the document. If I can get Acrobat Reader to do that - then I can use multiple tools to do the form filling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines